Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Assistance - copy

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
iva.btblan
447 Views, 5 Replies

Design Assistance - copy

Our projects consist of 2863 folders and 545000 Part´s and Assembly´s (iam, ipt e idw) (Together)

I use the Assistance design to copy everything. However it does not keep folders from 2763 folders.

What is the way to make copies preserving all folders with their respective files?

Iva.btblan

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
swalton
in reply to: iva.btblan

If I had to do this type of work more than once, I'd implement Vault and use the Copy-Design and Rename commands.

In fact, I might do that for a one-time process too, just for the ease of use.  It depends on how difficult it is to get a VM server with Microsoft SQL running at your company.  Vault Basic is free if you have the correct subscription.  I suspect that you have enough employees using Inventor that a Vault Workgroup or Professional install would be helpful in managing models, drawings, and released documents.  The paid versions of Vault have automatic filename tools that are powerful.

Without Vault, I might try using Pack-N-Go to save the top level assembly to a new root folder.  Make sure to set the options to keep the folder structure for all the sub components.

If I didn't like how that worked, I'd use Windows Explorer to copy the directory structure to a new root and create a new project file.

Once either was done, I'd use Design Assistant to rename files if required.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is unclear to me what exactly you want. Do you want to keep the files in the same folder structure but in a different location? Or, you want to keep the files location unchanged but just create new drawings and top-level assembly?

There are other ways to do this in Inventor than Design Assistant. You can use Pack and Go or iLogic Design Copy to create a brand new set with the same folder structure in a different location.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
iva.btblan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks!

Exactly, keep the files in the same folder structures.

To finish all the work we took several days.

Copying and renaming everything!

We would like the vault copy option within Design Assistance.

We will not use the vault!

Thanks for your attention!

Message 5 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi Iva,

Since you are not using Vault, iLogic Design Copy might be a better choice. Start Inventor and go to Tools -> iLogic Design Copy.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 6
iva.btblan
in reply to: johnsonshiue

What is the possibility of putting this function in Ilogic copy?

Attached!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report