Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Derive a part (with mirror), then edit just this part features

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mmatanlevi
268 Views, 11 Replies

Derive a part (with mirror), then edit just this part features

Hey,

I would like to get your suggestions on how to make the process that I do more efficiently. I have a part X and I have to make part Y that is a mirror of X except one feature - the length of the Contour Flange (the length of the sheet metal). When I do Derive, I got the mirror part but cant change the length without touching part X. I use the Derive because it enable me to do the mirror in a simple way. To bypass it I copy part X to another file, change its length, save it as part X1 and then derive part Y according to part X1.

I wonder if there is a simple way to do what I want, for instace a way to derive a part with mirror and then edit this part without touching the base part. Or maybe a way to use parameter to this length, and be able to change it for the derive. I really dont know, but hope this problem would raise some ideas that I could learn from.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
JDMather
in reply to: mmatanlevi

@mmatanlevi wrote:

...a way to derive a part with mirror and then edit this part without touching the base part. 

Direct Edit or follow-on history edit of the Derived part.

Attach your file(s) here and indicate desired edit if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 12

The base parameters cannot be edited in a derived part.

Apart from that, the whole moodeling process is exactly the same.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 4 of 12
mmatanlevi
in reply to: JDMather

I thought about the Direct Edit option but someone told me its not a recommended method. I tried it on the part but didnt managed. I attached the part, maybe you could tell me how to do the Direct edit for it. The new part should be longer in 500 mm ("Countor Flange1"). Other than that, the Rectangular Pattern should be preserve (and add holes because of the stretch) and the oval slot should move also with the stretch so it would stay in the center of the face.

Thank you very much.

Message 5 of 12

@kacper.suchomski wrote:

Apart from that, the whole moodeling process is exactly the same.

what do you mean?

Message 6 of 12

@mmatanlevi wrote:

I thought about the Direct Edit option but someone told me its not a recommended method. I tried it on the part but didnt managed. I attached the part, maybe you could tell me how to do the Direct edit for it. The new part should be longer in 500 mm ("Countor Flange1"). Other than that, the Rectangular Pattern should be preserve (and add holes because of the stretch) and the oval slot should move also with the stretch so it would stay in the center of the face.

Thank you very much.

Sketch (on paper) what you want to achieve, because your ois can be understood in many ways.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 7 of 12

1. Make a longer variant with a mirror.
  2. Create a new model state.
  3. Turn off the mirror and change the parameters (length and number of holes) in the new state.
  4. You now have two versions.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 8 of 12

Sorry but I barely understand the terms.

1. How? I mean, all I try to do is a longer variant with a mirror...
2. I didnt know about model states, I will read about it.

Please if you can elaborate or reference me to relevant tutorials its would be great.
Message 9 of 12

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-8E771DBE-1107-4AE8-BE3E-AF3A7977F3C6

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 10 of 12

Thank you very much! this was very helpful. I actually need to save each part (the original and the mirrored) as different files, and as I see it isnt possible in this method, right?

Message 11 of 12

You can derive them.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

Message 12 of 12

Sweet. Thank you very much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report