Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete or suppress all broken constraints without opening all the parts one by one

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
karl_junusUQSMW
140 Views, 8 Replies

delete or suppress all broken constraints without opening all the parts one by one

Hi

Is there any way to delete or suppress all broken constraints without opening all the parts one by one to delete them in Inventor?

When I edit or delete some component or subassembly and then open top assembly there are broken constraints or constraints that are missing other face. To fix this I have to close the design doctor and surf the model tree or use search to find the part by it's document number to open it. Then after opening it, i can delete the constraints and return to what i was doing previously. It is very time consuming. In Solid Edge you have a button to delete all conflicts or to suppress them in the doctor window, no matter on which level they are. Very rarely I want to fix the relationships. I'ts a lot easier to delete all and make new ones when you actually need them.  

karl_junusUQSMW_1-1727872384930.png

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Very often parts can not be opened directly from design doctor window.

karl_junusUQSMW_0-1727873352067.pngkarl_junusUQSMW_1-1727873353505.png

Message 3 of 9
blandb
in reply to: karl_junusUQSMW

Why delete and re-make the constraint when you can just repair it? Just randomly deleting may cause you to miss a constraint and then you have un-constrained items that you didn't realize because you just randomly deleted all??

Does it stink to open each component to fix...yes, but it is worth it to know what your design is actually doing.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 9
karl_junusUQSMW
in reply to: blandb

If the component has been deleted or a hole has been deleted you can not repair this constraint.  Usually I just delete all and not worry or care about missing constraints.  Yes there are parts unconstrained but they do not cause any problems.  I will constrain everything eventually, but during design it is ok not to have them and not to spend time on fixing things that will be broken again in the next five minutes.

And I find that repairing broken constraints takes more time than re-doing them when the need arises. Delete all and move along.

Message 5 of 9

Hi!

There's no option to do that "delete sick constrains", but, in my case, i used to go to the Relationships folder, select the sick constrains and delete them (or repair them).
I find this method easy and quick.

CCarreiras_0-1727875661182.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 6 of 9

This works if the broken relationships are in the same assembly. Sometimes when things get broken they get broken in multiple different levels and assemblies. So you won't see them in one place and will have to search for them in the model tree. And even then you can not delete them without editing or opening this assembly.

karl_junusUQSMW_0-1727876114055.png

Message 7 of 9

As i said, there's no option to do that out of the box.

Maybe it can be doable with an i logic Routine, ask for that in Inventor programming forum.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 8 of 9

Here's what I've used over the years pulled from the iLogic Forum:

Dim oAssDoc As AssemblyDocument
oAssDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
Dim oConstraint As AssemblyConstraint

RUSure = MessageBox.Show _
("Are you sure you want to Delete all sick constraints?",  _
"iLogic",MessageBoxButtons.YesNo)

If RUSure = vbNo Then
Return
Else
          i = 0
          For Each oConstraint In oAssDoc.ComponentDefinition.Constraints
            If oConstraint.HealthStatus <> oConstraint.HealthStatus.kUpToDateHealth And _
            oConstraint.HealthStatus <> oConstraint.HealthStatus.kSuppressedHealth Then
          oConstraint.Delete
            i = i + 1
          End If
          Next
End If
MessageBox.Show(" A total of "&  i & " constraints were deleted.", "iLogic")
Message 9 of 9

Thank you! This seems to work, Ill test it out in my workflow. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report