Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Define radial hole on the circular surface by distance to another surface

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
842 Views, 4 Replies

Define radial hole on the circular surface by distance to another surface

I can't figure out how to make a radial hole, which location is defined by a distance from the wall (see picture). On the picture, it can be seen that the hole is not radial to the cylindric flange. The only way I can manipulate the work plane is by changing the angle. The Work Plane is defined by the Y Axis and the XY Plane. Is there a smarter way to do this. This way I have to try out different angles until I get the desired distance, which definitely is not smart at all.

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-01-28 at 18.37.33.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

I hope I have understood your question.  Please see my screencast.  If I did not please restate your question and PLEASE, PLEASE attach your model so it is easier for others to troubleshoot.  Those trying to help should not have to build your model just to give you an attempted answer.

John Hackney, Retired
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
JDMather

I didn't watch @jhackney1972 video, so I apologize if he covered this in the video - but given that your part is sheet metal you could Unfold, add the hole and then Refold. But be aware that this is assuming the hole is cut before the part is bent (the bending process will distort the hole).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thank you jhackney1972, that was exactly what I needed!

I will remember to attach my model next time.

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! Here is another solution quite similar to John's but it is not using 3D Sketch. Basically, you do need some construction geometry to set up the platform so that you can drill the hole. Attached file was last saved on Inventor 2017.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report