Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decimal Places in the dialog Boxes...

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
beyoungjr
2088 Views, 35 Replies

Decimal Places in the dialog Boxes...

Hi,

I searched the forums before posting and I know that "decimal places" has been exhaustively beaten but I can't find an answer...

How can I see more than 3 decimal places in dialog boxes?  I have found the settings for annotation units precision so that's not it.  I also found the setting for sketch precision but that's not it either.

When I go to the Style editor for various attribute gaps or other style settings I would like to see the 4th decimal place in .0625 but it always rounds to .063.

Just something I want to figure out.

Thanks,

Blaine

Blaine Young
Senior Engineering Technician, US Army

35 REPLIES 35
Message 2 of 36
JDMather
in reply to: beyoungjr

Tools>Document Settings...

Tools-Document Settings.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 36
beyoungjr
in reply to: JDMather

Hi JDMather,

Thank you for the reply.  I already found the units setting in the tools-document settings for ipt files.  Sadly that appears to be document set and not able to leave as default, it also has no effect on the idw environment and that setting does not appear in the same place for the idw environment.

I tried creating a quick part with 4 place decimals then generating a drawing from it.  The 4 place decimal setting does not come through to the drawing.

Look to set the default and see 4 places in drawing environment and dialogs as well.  I already know how to set the dimension style to 4 place.

Thanks,

Blaine

Blaine Young

Message 4 of 36
beyoungjr

here is a pic of the dialog with rounding...

decimals.png

Blaine Young

Message 5 of 36
johnsonshiue

Hi! The display decimal point in part and assembly dialogs is controlled by Document setting -> Units. For Drawing, the decimal point for the input values in the dialog is hard-coded based on chosen unit (inch or mm). These values control annotation spacing and sizes in inches or mm. If you want to change dimension precision, you will go to Dimension Style and change the precision setting there.

Is this what you are looking for?

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 36
beyoungjr
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

Tried to make it clear that I know about Document Settings Units for parts and Assemblies.

When I am in a Drawing I want to see .0625 or .03125 or other decimal entries in the fields when I type in the dialog box for setting up my dimension styles (gaps, extensions, etc...).

So far not what I'm looking for.

Blaine Young

Message 7 of 36
JDMather

@beyoungjr wrote:

... I want to see .0625 or .03125 or other decimal entries in the fields when I type in the dialog box for setting up my dimension styles (gaps, extensions, etc...). ...

Ah, now I think I see what you mean...

Styles Editor.png

...I have to try so hard to convince my students that we can't make perfect geometry... ...that .0625 is .063 (unless we are doing precision grinding operation)....

...5 decimal places?  I don't even know how to measure that....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 8 of 36
johnsonshiue

Hi! I would like to understand the request better. Do you want the ability to specify dimension line offset spacing to 4 decimal point, for example? Or, do you want the ability to override a dimension value and change its precision?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 36
beyoungjr

Hi again,

I agree and my goal isn't perfect geometry but instead just to see what is entered instead of the rounded value (like AutoCAD Units command works).

Hope for an answer on this.

Blaine Young

Message 10 of 36
beyoungjr

Like in AutoCAD where I can set the UNITS command and see as many decimals as I like in my Properties pallete or Dimension Style Manager settings tabs and in the "heads-up display"... I just want to see what I type in the field.  This has nothing to do with setting the dimension style precision.

The functionality clearly works in parts and assemblies so that when I type the constraint value at 4 places in a constraint it shows all 4 digits.

I would prefer to be able set this globally as Units does in AutoCAD so that 4 place decimals can be the default for new parts and works as well in drawings.

It seems like a simple concept but obviously not because it's being misunderstood so much.

Blaine Young

Message 11 of 36
JDMather

@beyoungjr wrote:

.... so that 4 place decimals can be the default for new parts....

What happens if you make the change and then Save As Template?

Message 12 of 36
beyoungjr

Doesn't work.  I tried several template options and sheet setups but none have worked yet.

It's an interface thing and I wish it were handled as such instead of by document as it is in parts and assemblies separately.  I guess it's so much easire for ACAD because it's all one interface and the templates can hold it.

Gonna keep messing with it though.

Thanks for your time.

Blaine Young

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous

I hope I have understood this thread so bear with me. It seems that you want to change the default setting of new parts, drawings & assemblies. The only way to do this is to change your templates. Set up a blank part, drawing or assembly file as you want it to appear & then save as a template in the Template directory (If you check the File tab in Application options this will tell you where they are). You may get various error messages about them not being in the active project but just overrule these. This way you can set up various templates for metric, imperial or any style you wish.

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

A further thought. If you want to overwrite the default templates you will have to overwrite the 'Standard' templates. I have successfully used this method to set up various "primitive" drawings to save time (I just change the dimensions or delete features) & save under a new name

Message 15 of 36
beyoungjr

Thanks r_baker11 for your reply.  As I have tried make clear, I understand how to set 4 place decimals for all activity in the parts and assembly modules of Inventor.  This occurs in Tools->Document Settings->Units tab.

The Units tab is not in the Document Settings for the Drawing module so while I can setup my dimension styles to place any number of decimal places I like, I cannot see the desired number of decimal places in my dialog boxes and settings palettes (see images attached prior).

Making the setting in the Part module has not advanced the setting to the Drawing module so templating has not worked.

Again remember that I already know how to make dimensions appear in this way.

Blaine Young

Message 16 of 36
Anonymous

H right understand the problem now. Will investigate & get back to you

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous

I think you are flogging a dead horse here. On the face of it there appears to be no way to set the style library appearance. I think this would have to be set at the project level pr Display level

Message 18 of 36
mcgyvr

@johnsonshiue wrote:

For Drawing, the decimal point for the input values in the dialog is hard-coded based on chosen unit (inch or mm).

As stated by Johnson already what you are wanting to change cannot be changed by the user..

Its hard coded in the program to automatically round all entered values to 3 decimal places and to only show them as 3 decimal places..

There is no user setting to allow you to change that.. Its set in stone and the only way to change that would be to have the Autodesk programmers modify the source code and recompile the program itself (which is not going to happen)

And I fail to see why you would ever need to do that.. The difference would not be visually noticeable on a drawing.. 

Is there a specific setting that you need to go to more than 3 decimal places? I can't think of a setting where that amount of precision would ever be needed..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 19 of 36
msklein

The only reason i have ever seen for 5 decimal places, was back in the late 80's where the company  used a contour milling program so they need 5 places for the mills that were specified at 5 decimal places. all milling programming was done to center line of mill.

Message 20 of 36
beyoungjr
in reply to: mcgyvr

I understand that many "fail to understand" the workings of others but try to see it from this point of view...

If I attempt to scale an object that was previously drawn with english units in any CAD platform and I use .039 as my scale factor the result would be VERY wrong, will you concede that?

Inventor is a parametric modeling software built on underlying data that some users actually prefer to work with.  I stick to the design space and mess with the data sets only when necessary as in building formulas to control features based on other features.

When I type .03937 into a dialog box, or data field, I want to see that value.  When I set a centermark cross size for numbers that I am very used to using I'd like to see those numbers.  If I can set the Units in Document Settings for Inventor Parts and Inventor Assemblies isn't it logical that I should be able to do the same for Inventor Drawings?  It's just a missing tab.

Autodesk support has peaked in on this post and they have indicated that they are looking at the issue.  Maybe they see merit in this?

I'm kinda looking at it as not having continuity across the Inventor modules.

Blaine Young

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report