Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Square Tube not showing correctly

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
WillL84
483 Views, 13 Replies

Custom Square Tube not showing correctly

I created a custom square tube in Content Center based off something I found on McMaster-Carr. It's 3/4x3/4x0.65" tube. I entered all the fields (calculated the lbmass and Ix/Iy as well). However when I insert the component it's completely wrong dimension-wise. Instead of the above dimensions it inserts as a rectangle that's 1.18"Wx1.96"Hx0.114" wall with a 0.285" outer radius instead of the 0.038" radius I entered. Any idea what's going on here?

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
i7-11700K/32GB RAM/Quadro RTX A4000
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
bwang-tecoustics
in reply to: WillL84

You can make a copy of the standard HSS library and modify the dimensions. This might be easier.

Message 3 of 14
WillL84

So if I edit the inserted tube and edit the body sketch all of the dimensions are correct, but everything is pink and the outline of the part still shows the incorrectly-sized rectangle.

InventorTube.png

I would just draw this as a standard part but I need to run a frame analysis on this part and it will only work with Content Center parts which is annoying

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 4 of 14
bwang-tecoustics

Any pink item means the item is not totally constrained. So, looks like you need to redo all the dimensions. The dimensions are not attached (stick) to the lines/curves.

Message 5 of 14
SBix26

Pink items in a sketch indicate projected geometry that has lost its reference.  It appears that your entire sketch is "lost in space".

Can you post your original authored part file for this family?

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2022.2.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 6 of 14
WillL84
in reply to: SBix26

How do I post the file? Do you want a screenshot of the row I added to the family table?

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 7 of 14
WillL84
in reply to: bwang-tecoustics

@bwang-tecoustics the dimensions are generated from the Content Center family row where I added the physical dimensions of the tube, they all have function markers in them.

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 8 of 14
bwang-tecoustics

Use the REPLY instead of QUICK REPLY to attach files.
Message 9 of 14
WillL84

No I meant how do I get the unauthored part file from inventor? Just make an IPT of a random length from the Content Center entry I created and upload that?

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 10 of 14
bwang-tecoustics

If you want to make the similar HSS as the standard HSS, you can do what I replied before. Just make a copy of the HSS library and modify it. If you want to add more features on it, say adding extra holes in the HSS, I will just make it from scratch. Reusing the library generated parts sometimes causes problems.
Message 11 of 14
WillL84

I didn't reuse any parts, I simply copied the library to my custom parts library then added a row and entered all the info manually.

After playing with the sketch it seems like the problem lies with Inventor trying to give the ID a corner radius proportional to the exterior radius but it can't. I had to delete all the dimensions and the inner loop, add the dimensions to the outer loop then use the offset command (which resulted in no radius). Then I went in and added the radius based on the STEP file I downloaded from McMaster and it worked fine. But if I ever need this tubing size again I'll have to do it all over

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 12 of 14
bwang-tecoustics

If you copied the library to your custom parts library, I don't understand why you need to play with the sketch. Because Inventor only needs to use your manually input data to generate the new model for you. Nothing need to be changed on the sketch.
Message 13 of 14
WillL84

That's what I'm wondering as well. Yet it gave me an odd-sized tube and an all-pink sketch based off of my inputs

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Inventor 2024 Pro (PDMC)
TITAN Computers C161
Message 14 of 14
bwang-tecoustics

Unless the dimensions that you gave to Inventor can't make a proper model. You can make a HSS part from the library first, and then manually apply those dimension in that part and see if all the dimensions will work.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report