Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

custom parameter format not working

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
peter.roman
628 Views, 7 Replies

custom parameter format not working

I have a part (mm) with an exported user parameter (inch) and custom property format applied (inch, fractional).

When I apply the format the custom iproperty shows the correct format but when I save the file the custom iproperty reverts to mm (but no change in the parameter window or custom format window). 

I want to pull this through to the drawing and need to have it in inches.

Is there any way to fix this?

parameter and custom format:

2021-01-29 20_11_00-Parameters.png

custom iproperty after applying format but before saving:

2021-01-29 20_11_56-Autodesk Inventor Professional 2021.png

custom iproperty after saving:

2021-01-29 20_12_21-0 test.ipt iProperties.png

Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnsonshiue
in reply to: peter.roman

Hi! The behavior looks wrong to me, even if the document unit is set to mm. But, I am not able to reproduce it somehow. Please share the example that exhibits the behavior here. I would like to take a closer look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 8
peter.roman
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson, I've attached an example part.

If you change the format settings it should apply them (eg changing decimal / fractional inch) and then when saving revert back to mm.

Parameter is "thread_D"

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for sharing the file! I took a quick look on 2021.2 update. Interestingly, when I clicked Custom Property Format arrow button, the format showed "Decima." Then I changed it to "Fractional", and it seemed to work fine. But, the image you attached here did show it was already "Fractional." Could you take a look on your machine?

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
peter.roman

Hi Johnson,

Same, I must have changed it after the screenshots but I get the same problem with both decimal and fractional.

When I change the format it updates/refreshes correctly but after I save the file it then reverts to mm (in the custom iproperty only, not the parameter format window).

I'm now on 2021.2.1 but had the same issue on the previous update (I updated to try fix it)

Message 6 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for sharing the file and the steps! I can reproduce it now. The behavioral change seems to starts from 2020. It used to work fine on 2019. I recalled we did change some behaviors in this workflow to better support numerical and text values.

I notice that the precision seems to make a difference. Go to Parameters table -> check Custom Parameter Format -> change the precision to 1/16. After that, the fraction will stay. Could you verify?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8
peter.roman

Hi Johnson,

I tried a couple (1/2, 1/16, 1/64) but they still revert to mm on save.

Message 8 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for confirming! I was using our the latest internal build. It seemed to work. But, it is indeed still reproducible on 2021.2 update. It does seem that the issue has been fixed on our internal build targeting 2021.3 update. It works as I described. If the precision is set to 1/16 in this case, the fraction format should stick.

Thanks again!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report