Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Material Library Lock, with Windows .LCK File

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
petestrycharske
487 Views, 6 Replies

Custom Material Library Lock, with Windows .LCK File

All,

Good afternoon!  I've run across an issue with a client that I cannot seem to figure out.  The client is using Vault and has Vaulted their material libraries.  They check out the library (verified) and the library is not Read-Only in Windows (verified), yet they cannot add materials to the library. 

When we did some investigating, we discovered that a MaterialLibrary.LCK file was also being generated in Windows.  We could not delete the file while Inventor was open, but as soon as we closed it, the .LCK file could be removed.  Inventor was reopened and the material library could be manipulated as expected.  

Everything from the Vault perspective is correct, so I think it is something happening in Windows, but I have no idea how that .LCK file is being generated.  This doesn't happen every time, either, which makes it even more maddening.  Does anyone have ideas what could be causing this or what to do?  Appreciate anything that I can pass along to my customer.  Thanks in advance for any assistance, hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@petestrycharske 

Is the Vault workspace local or on a network?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7

@Mark.Lancaster, thanks for the response!  I verified that the Vault workspace is local, NOT in a network location.  Hope this helps clarify and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 7

@petestrycharske 

When you say "yet they cannot add materials to the library."  Is there an error message or just nothing happens?   The only time I have heard where you can't add or edit material is when another user has the material library opened (meaning its on shared location).   Meaning every body has to be out of Inventor in order for that one person to make changes.

Update:   When it appears locked is there like a pencil shape icon in this area next to the material library they are using

2019-04-10_15-35-29.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 7

@Mark.Lancaster,

Yes, this is an odd issue, as the workspace is local (C:\_Vault|...) and the material library is checked out from Vault.  I cannot think of a scenario where a different user could lock up the library in this scenario...  I'm thinking that there must be some process in Inventor that locks the library for editing, but off hand I cannot think of what that process might be.  Thanks for looking into this with me, hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 6 of 7

@Mark.Lancaster,

Oops, I forgot, there is an error message.

"Changes to the library cannot be made" and "The library file is currently locked or missing"

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 7 of 7

Hi Pete,

Could you do a quick experiment for me? Start up Inventor and unload Vault Add-In. Now, are you able to edit the check-out library?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report