Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom iPart Naming

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
scottmoyse
1297 Views, 8 Replies

Custom iPart Naming

Guys,

I have a custom iPart. Its a wardrobe rail, so you buy it in lengths and then cut it to suit the situation. It will always have the same part number and an infinate number of possible lengths.

I would like the member name/filename to include the length typed into the custom field upon placement of the file. So If i type in 1093mm as the lenght, then the resulting filename would be 'wardrobe rail 1093.ipt'

I could have it create the same filename each time, since I don't want the automated -01 suffix or any other permutation that is available under the options dialogue in the iPart table. Mainly because they make no logical sense in this case. However, I can't do this because we are now using Vault with Unique filenames enabled.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

cheers

Scott

Scott Moyse
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

RevOps Strategy Manager at Toolpath. New Zealand based.

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pauldoubet
in reply to: scottmoyse

One option would be to publish the part to Content Center. My standard approach in CC is to use a formula for the part number and use that part number for the file name. If the length is a custom entry then the part number and the file name will display the length of the part when you save the part as a custom CC part to the directory that you choose, usually a project specific directory or folder.

Hope this helps, Paul

Message 3 of 9
scottmoyse
in reply to: pauldoubet

Paul,

That does help in a way. We don't use CC, because 99% of the time its pointless for us. This would fit into the odd occasion where it would be useful. Ah well. 

I think this may be a case of keeping our Copy & Paste component folder with adaptive/flexible parts that just need to be renamed once copied and then have their size adjusted to suit. Maybe iLogic could have a part to play in this, especially using iLogic Copy Design. The only problem is i didn't want to have two versions of the same length rail if i could avoid it.

cheers

Scott

Scott Moyse
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Co-founder of the Grumpy Sloth full aluminium billet mechanical keyboard project

Message 4 of 9
pauldoubet

Not sure why you see CC parts as pointless but the suggestion was just that, a suggestion. I am sure you can make your part number iProperty follow the format you want with a iPart, not sure about keeping the file name the same. I much prefer CC parts vs. iParts.

Paul

Message 5 of 9
scottmoyse

They are pointless for us as a company. I appreciate your suggestion, sorry if my response was rude, it definately wasn't intended on being.

CC's are great for the type of content they are designed for. Publishing a hinge or a series of drawer runners to the CC doesn't really work, so they may as well be a library part and if neccesary an iPart. 

I have looked at putting timber moldings into CC, however, our profiles change quite often through a project via revisions. So CC won't work for them either, since once published they are set in stone.

For nuts, bolts, screws etc.. sweet CC is great, but we don't put screws in our models. Plus we only use 1 type of screw of differing lengths, so a library iPart woudl fullfill this requirement perfectly without having to maintain CC, just for some screws.

For our applications, as much as i like the idea of CC, and I have tried several times to use it, we just can't justify it.

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Message 6 of 9
pauldoubet

@scottmoyse wrote:

I have looked at putting timber moldings into CC, however, our profiles change quite often through a project via revisions. So CC won't work for them either, since once published they are set in stone.

The above statement is absolutely not true. Changing the sketch associated with an existing CC part is a simple process and does not neccessarily require you to republish the part. I modify CC parts that are published on a regular basis without having to republish them. Earlier this week I modified an existing sheet metal part to change its shape and did not have to republish the part, siimply made the change and did a 'Replace Family Template'.

And I did not think you were being rude, just trying to point out some of the advantages of CC parts. Having the file name and part number do what you are attempting is one obvious plus. I use iParts and iAssemblies but I prefer CC parts when possible. I have attached an article I wrote for the Creative Inventor magazine that shows how to do this just in case you are interested in exploring that possiblility.

Good Luck, Paul

Message 7 of 9
PaulMunford

You could try opening iPart table in Excel option and then use Excel's 'concentate' function to create bespoke names.

This works very well with standard iParts. I haven't tried it with a custom iPart though - let me know if it works out!

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 8 of 9
karthur1
in reply to: PaulMunford

Sorry, but that wont work with custom length parts.

Message 9 of 9
scottmoyse

Based on my understanding of what i have read and conversations i have had with our reseller, is the reason why i made the statement. 

I will read your document and suss it out. cheers

Scott Moyse

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report