Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom clearance holes

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Charlie-24
470 Views, 5 Replies

Custom clearance holes

Hi,

I regularly use hex riv-nuts in sheet metal and would like to create a custom shaped clearance hole (similar to this Clearance Holes)

Is it possible? I can see how to add round holes but due to the shape I cant create a custom entry in the XML file. I can add it in as an ifeature but where we use different sizes it would be handy to add it as a hole so I can change the size easily.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Charlie

Labels (4)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
CGBenner
in reply to: Charlie-24

@Charlie-24 

I do not believe there is currently any way to do this with the hole command.  Your idea of an ifeature is probably the best approach right now.  Are you not able to edit the key dimensions of your ifeature after it is placed?  Can you share your ifeature file?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 6
blandb

You can use table driven ifeatures which would be similar to ipart concept where you can change the size of the feature depending on the size. Just a thought.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2018/ENU/Inve... 

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 6
Charlie-24
in reply to: CGBenner

Thank you for your response Chris,

I can set the ifeature to have editable dimensions, but it would require the others users and myself to remember the sizes required. While this isn't usually an issue we need to factor in the finish of the part, i.e. galvanised, powder coated and any tolerance that we see per batch of riv-nuts (up to 0.5mm due to different suppliers).

I has hoping there was a way to add in different options under the clearances table so I could update it in one place and have the correct dimensions pull through to all users, however I will have to settle for different ifeatures set to the different sizes

Message 5 of 6
Charlie-24
in reply to: blandb

Thank you blanb, i wasn't aware of this feature. I will look into this now

Message 6 of 6
Charlie-24

Thank you for your help, I have now got it set up for the different sizes we use at our factory

(i've attached it below, just change .ipt to .ide as the forum wont allow me to upload it as a .ide)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report