Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Curly braces; Inventor exported text???

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
961 Views, 9 Replies

Curly braces; Inventor exported text???

Please help with a solution to this problem;

When an IDW file is exported from Inventor to a DWG file, it is adding curly braces to the text that are only visible in the properties--contents.  When the text on the DWG is manipulated in any way, the curly braces go away.

I believe the cause of this is using the "Add Text Parameter" function from the Inventor text box, but I do not know for sure what the root cause is.  I've attached a picture of the problem in Autocad and I believe that anyone can recreate this issue by creating an IDW file with an added text parameter and saving that drawing as a DWG.

The extra brackets are making the information inaccurate due to the added characters in the text field (the text must be exact).  I need to find a reliable way to eliminate these added curly braces.  Thanks for looking!

cadtext1.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi David,

I am not sure I can reproduce it. This may have something to do with the text style in your idw file. Could you post an example here or send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thank you for the reply!  Here is a generic part and generic drawing that I created as an example from the Inventor supplied templates.  Both text boxes, when the drawing is "Save Copy As" an "Autocad DWG" file, have the extra curly braces as viewed in the properties/contents line in the properties tab but not visibly on the text in the drawing. 

I've tried saving as an Autocad 2017 file all the way down to an Autocad 2007 file and found the same results.

cadtext2.png

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I see the behavior. It looks like it is a kind of expression in AutoCAD MText. The brackets seem to indicate some formatting options. Let me check with team members understanding this workflow better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi David,

I got some information about the curly brackets. It looks like it was like an identifier to indicate the text was exported from Inventor as opposed to creating from scratch in AutoCAD. I was told that there are a few reserved alphabets for formatting purpose. They should not appear in the display.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for identifying the cause of the issue! 

You said there are some "reserved alphabets"--does that mean that if a particular font is selected, then the extra braces will not be created?  If so, then what are those fonts?  I tried using some SHX fonts like simplex and complex and still got the curly braces.  I need to know if there is a way for me to make the text in Inventor export to DWG with no extra characters.  

Big thanks for your help on this!

Message 7 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I don't think changing font would make a difference here. The brackets were added by Inventor to show that the text was not created manually in AutoCAD. You may see "\P" as cartridge return for example.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

So there is no solution for getting rid of the curly braces on the Inventor side, I will have to find a separate solution on the AutoCAD side?

Message 9 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to change the behavior unless Inventor stops adding the curly brackets. I can check with the team and see if they are absolutely needed or there should be an option to turn it off. Do the brackets interfere with your process?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

It does interfere with the process I'm using.

I have a program that looks for the info on my first picture: file name=B60529, it does not look for file name={B60529}.  The extra braces may as well be any other letter in the alphabet.  I will have to integrate another step into the export process to ensure that the information is correct. 

I find it difficult to believe that this has not been an issue before, maybe there is some other way to look at the problem I am facing...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report