Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating an iAssembly with parameters in assembly

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
675 Views, 5 Replies

Creating an iAssembly with parameters in assembly

I want to have na iAssembly of a ball valve that would fit firefighting hoses diameters. This means I want to create an assembly of a ball valve and then be able to create other sizes of the same element therefore I must have some, lets call them, global dimensions like:

Size: 1/1.25/1.5/2/2.5/3/... inches

Agle of the handle: 0,35 etc.

I can't input these into table of parameters of the assembly because I wouldn't be able to link them to table in subparts.

One way, a bit brutal, could be to create a sketch in iAssembly with these parameters and then project geometry down to all parts of the iAssembly but can it be done more polite/efficient way ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
IgorMir
in reply to: Anonymous

You don't do it in assembly. Instead - your iParts have all the dimensions you need. In iAssembly you just select the components you want to represent different valve's sizes.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 6
asiteur
in reply to: IgorMir

Indeed, you should have iparts in which the parameters reside. So your size 1 ball valve assembly would then reference all iparts with size=1. Then, you set up your iAssembly such that if you take size 2 of this assembly, all iparts are changed to their size=2 counterparts.

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: asiteur

Ok so now I understand my parts need to be iParts. Then I will have a browser like this:

ball valve.jpg

And wheny I want to make complete valve of specific size I just select the sizes of all parts? I woill have to do that manually. I don't know how to do this like @asiteur says. 

Message 5 of 6
IgorMir

That topic is a bit larger then to fit into a few posts. You have to do a lot of reading on your own, really. Search the Internet. Suggest to your manager to employ a consultant who is in the know... These are the strategies which come to mind...

Cheers,

Igor.

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so now I understand my parts need to be iParts. Then I will have a browser like this:

And wheny I want to make complete valve of specific size I just select the sizes of all parts? I woill have to do that manually. I don't know how to do this like @asiteur says. 

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 6 of 6
asiteur

Hi,

So oke I will try to explain this. But it is not very easy, so I hope you can follow.

First of all I have attached a small sample project. In which there is 1 ipart (a cube) that has three dimensions that control it.

1) In your assembly you create the User defined parameters you want to control (preferably with the same name as in the iPart)

2) Then you need to create an assembly and add an iLogic rule to it

'Find the row with the current sizes and change item to this row
i = iPart.FindRow("CUBE", "G_L", "=", G_L, "G_H", "=",G_H, "G_W", "=", G_W)

The "G_L" between quotes is the parameter name in the iPart, the G_L without is the value you look for. Here we want to match the parameters in the Assembly with the parameters in the iPart. Make sure that you rename your part. So if after placement it's called CUBE:1 then rename to CUBE or whatever as long as the ":1" is gone.

3) Now you can convert the assembly in an iAssembly.

I suggest you look also at manuals and tutorials on this.

I hope this helps!

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report