Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a new multibody part which is a mirror of an existing multibody part but not linked (sketches included)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Benjamin
365 Views, 2 Replies

Creating a new multibody part which is a mirror of an existing multibody part but not linked (sketches included)

Hello,

I'd like to create a new multibody part which is a mirror of an existing multibody part but not linked. The new part needs to include the sketches from the original multibody part and these also need to be mirrored.

The reasoning for this is because I have two identical rooms that have a sloped ceiling with joinery being fitted to opposite walls. The construction of the carcasses in the new multibody part attached will be identical to the original in construction but will differ in overall width and height and the doors construction in the new multibody part will differ. Therefore, having a new multibody part will allow me to make any alterations without it affecting the original and the majority of the sketch creation, parameter linking, and feature creation is done saving me several hours of work.

I use inventor for joinery and cabinetry to give a brief understanding of the attached file.

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

@SteveMDennis 

@johnsonshiue 

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
rogmitch
in reply to: Benjamin

I am not aware of an easy way to achieve what you are asking.  The usual derive with mirror and break the link does not help in this case.

One option, although probably very messy and only suitable for simple models would be to save the original multibody part as a new file and then reposition the individual bodies  on the other side of the mirror plane. 

There is an excellent free addin called BodyBuilding that would make the process of moving the bodies much easier.  Even so, it may be just faster to re-model the original in a mirrored form.

Roger Mitchell

Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,

If I understood your request correctly, you could actually do that by using Mirror Body workflow. Go to Mirror command -> Body -> pick the bodies you want to mirror -> pick the mirror plane -> check "Remove original." After that, save the part as a new part.

In this way, the two parts are independent. The features and sketches are retained, though created on the other side. All the parameters are intact also.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report