Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a coil along a path

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JoelMckone
278 Views, 4 Replies

Creating a coil along a path

I found a youtube video on how to create a coil along a path (for example - a telephone cord).  It was easy to create the part, however it took some experimenting to get a solid surface and turn of the inital sweep to remove the geometry required to create the actual coil.  The coil was inserted into an assembly (essentially a conduit for electrical wiring) without a problem.  However, when I put the assembly into a drawing file, the original geometry returns (yellow image in pdf) and the option to turn if off is greyed out.

Can this be fixed and if so how?

Tags (3)
Labels (1)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
SBix26
in reply to: JoelMckone

Can you post the assembly, other components, and drawing files?  I can't replicate your results with the templates I have.

As always, it's important to let forum readers know what version of Inventor you're working with-- I found that your part file is 2024 format.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.2 | Windows 10 Home 22H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JoelMckone

Hi! I guess the drawing view has "Associative" design view option turned on. Edit the drawing view -> uncheck the Associative. Then you should be able to make the surface bodies invisible in the shaded drawing view.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 5

Are surface body views disabled in the model?
Is the visibility of surface bodies disabled in the drawing?

https://youtu.be/a7Y9wr_vfIw?feature=shared

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 5
JoelMckone
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the tip - the 'Associative" design view was turned off, however I changed the Design View from 'default' to 'primary' which solved the problem.  It would probably been a while before I thought to check the drawing view settings as I was  focused on the making changes in the browser.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report