Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Table in Inventor 2018 Cable drawing Error

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
jesscadd
618 Views, 10 Replies

Create Table in Inventor 2018 Cable drawing Error

Been using the Cable-Wire harness function for several releases now. After upgrading to 2018 when trying to create the wire table in the cable drawing, I get the following error:

Capture.JPG

This wasn't an issue in the past. I can import a Parts List table no problem.

I originally thought it was because the Table report may be out of date, updated it, same issue.

I am running Microsoft Office Professional 2013.

I have tried the Autodesk reset tool several times, same issue.

I have completely Uninstalled the entire Autodesk suite, rebooted computer, downloaded the latest version from Autodesk website, installed it, rebooted computer, let the updater update Inventor both service packs. Rebooted computer again. Same issue.

This is a brand new drawing. I opened a previously done drawing with it's wire table in the drawing, tried to Create the table from the existing csv file, same error.

This picture shows what excel looks like prior to running the create table command.Capture2.JPG

This command shows Excel after running the Create Table command.Capture3.JPG

It looks like there is some type of hang-up happening.

Suggestions???

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
jesscadd
in reply to: jesscadd

I think I have found a work-around.

1. After creating the wire table from the Inventor assembly.

2. Open the wire table CSV file in  Excel as a comma delimited file

3. Save file as Excel worksheet

4. Open Nailboard drawing and use the Create Table command, choose the Excel file.

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr

@jesscadd The error seems to indicate a problem registering Excel properly with Inventor..

I would be cautious of marking your post as solved in case there is a real bug going on that won't get fixed if they don't know about it..

If that message comes up again when you try to create a new drawing with a new table then its not solved for sure..

But if that process somehow managed to trick Inventor into properly registering it and its not happening anymore for new drawings,etc... then ok..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
jesscadd
in reply to: mcgyvr

The strange thing is there is no issue bringing in the Parts List table or Revision table. It is just the Create Table from the Nailboard drawing tab.

Message 5 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Jessica,

Are you able to create an iPart? If not, it means the link between Inventor and Excel is totally broken.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 11
jesscadd
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

The name is Kirk not Jessica. I opened an existing table and added additional parts, no problems saving the files. Everything shows correctly. Like I said the main issue seems to be within the cable functionality.

Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Kirk,

I am sorry to get your name incorrectly. I thought the id looked familiar with another user. Sorry about that! It sounds like the issue is specific to Cable and Harness report, not general Excel workflow failure. I will work with the project team to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
jan_priban
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

on one my PC I have trouble with Excel as well, so I would like to know/help you. Could you let me know if you can create iPart - iPart workflow iteracts with Excel as well (or in the Content Center Editor edit family table via Excel) - I would like to know if your issue is related to Cable & Harness or interaction Inventor -> Excel.

Thank you

Jan Priban

Autodesk Content Center team

Message 9 of 11
jesscadd
in reply to: jan_priban

I was able to open several different iparts I have no problem. This seems to be related only to the cable function, specifically the create table function in the nailboard drawing.
Message 10 of 11
jan_priban

OK, I can open iPart as well, but please add new row/member to iPart table. Does it work? For me not, I am getting 

Excel_IssueNG.jpg

Jan Priban

Message 11 of 11
jesscadd
in reply to: jan_priban

Jan,

I was able to add an additional line in the  table with no issue.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report