Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create Component in .iam does nothing

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
joachim.vanmiegem
419 Views, 7 Replies

Create Component in .iam does nothing

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a component in a new .iam assembly file. I am clicking "Create" in the Assemble-tab / Component category. Afraid to say it does nothing when I click it. No dialog appears, inventor doesn't block and I don't get any error messages. When I right-click, the repeat action would be "Create Component" but it did and does nothing.

I've tried using the default .iam templates. I've used the inventor reset utility.

Anyone has a clue as to why it's not working?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Joachim

Labels (3)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Attach the *.iam file here for testing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8

This is the .iam file, I am using inventor 2020

Message 4 of 8

Do you get a screen that looks like this?

JDMather_0-1642764295422.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 8

No, that's my issue really. This dialog doesn't show and inventor doesn't freeze or anything.

Message 6 of 8

My guess is that the dialog is off-screen.

Have you been using two monitors and now only using one monitor?

(BTW - you should install Update 4)

http://manage.autodesk.com

JDMather_0-1642766077435.png

Message 7 of 8

Hi,

Thank you for the ideas so far.

I am using 2 monitors but I don't think the dialog is off screen because I suppose when it would be showing off screen, I shouldn't be able to start other commands or rotate the assembly for example.

The update is a company thing. We install inventor off a platform, so we can't install anything but the version they offer us.

Best regards,

Joachim

Message 8 of 8

Hi! Another possibility is that the template folder does not exist. Please check Project settings -> Folder Options -> Templates and make sure the template files are there.

A slightly remote possibility is DPI related. Somehow the screen resolution or scale lead to erroneous dialog behaviors. I am not sure if you can change screen resolution and scale on such machine. Try changing it to the recommended setting.

Or, add an environment variable "QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR" and set it to 0 (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Environment Variables). 

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report