Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create a 2D setting-out sketch in an assembly and have it show in a drawing.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ben52ZTY
389 Views, 8 Replies

Create a 2D setting-out sketch in an assembly and have it show in a drawing.

Hi

I have created a structural steel tower using frame generator. I would like to now create a setting-out sketch to show a grid for the baseplate positions. Vertical grid lines will be labelled A - J, horizontal grid lines will be labelled 1 - 8. I created a sketch in the assembly environment but that doesn't show. I also tried creating a separate part comprising visible grid lines then in the drawing environment I found the part and picked 'get model sketches' but neither worked. I'd like the sketch to show in both plan view and perspective views.

Any help would be great. Thanks Ben

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
CGBenner
in reply to: ben52ZTY

@ben52ZTY 

Hi Ben!  After you did the "Get Model Sketches", did you then go into the browser and "Include" them?
Find the Assembly in the browser for the view you want to show the sketch in, expand it and locate the sketch, RMB and select "Include" to make it visible in the view.  The first step just gets the sketch into the browser so that you can choose which ones you want to do something with.  See if this helps?  Good luck!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 9
blandb

In your skeleton sketch, if you used work planes that represent footing centerlines, you could then include the work planes into the drawing. But also as mentioned if you have a sketch that represents that layout, include it as well. Just some thoughts.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 9
kacper.suchomski

For a sketch to be visible in a drawing, it must be visible in the model file.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 5 of 9
blandb
in reply to: kacper.suchomski

Unless I am misunderstanding you, the sketches do not need to be visible in the model. Please see attached

Message 6 of 9
ben52ZTY
in reply to: CGBenner

@CGBenner 

Hi, thank you for your response. When I tried it first time round there wasn't an 'include' option. I've tried it again but this time there was and it was tick automatically. The issue now is that the sketch is only visible in a plan view of the model. On the sheet there is a plan view with the sketch showing I then try a projected view on the same sheet and follow the same steps. With this view the sketch isn't available to include, it doesn't show up in the browser tree under that view. If you have any additional steps that would be great.

Many thanks

Ben

Message 7 of 9
ben52ZTY
in reply to: blandb

@blandb 

Hi, thank you for your response. You are correct the sketch doesn't need to be visible to show in the drawing. Thanks for the screencast, I noticed you were working with a drawing of an ipt file, I am working in an iam file. The issue is that the sketch is only visible in a plan view of the model. On the sheet there is a plan view with the sketch showing, yay! I then try a projected view on the same sheet and follow the same steps to 'get model sketches' and 'include'. With this view the sketch isn't available to include, it doesn't show up in the browser tree under that view. Ideally I will be able to show the sketch in a perspective view if its possible. If you have any additional steps that would be great.

Many thanks

Ben

Message 8 of 9
blandb

I always use a part file and set the bom structure to be reference and any building column, grid, dwg underlay, etc info will go to that. This is my layout reference part. I tend to use work planes for building columns, and will only add what is necessary for what I am doing. If I need to place in a customer acad drawing, I will place in the acad as a dwg underlay and show that in my drawing. So, you can do the same in the assy simply by placing in a dwg and it will create an underlay. This can be shown in an iso view. Draw back is that you are kind of doing it backwards, but it will at least show it in iso. If you are not familiar with dwg underlay, it is a live link back to the acad drawing. So, anything changes in acad, you will get the lighting bolt and any the changes will be updated in the part or assy. Example, in a part, you add in a customer acad layout, and you can start a sketch and use project dwg and bring in that acad info. You can extrude it, and then if the acad geometry changes, your part will move as well.  Just a thought.

blandb_0-1689178915345.png

Message 9 of 9
kacper.suchomski
in reply to: blandb

Yes you are right. I expressed myself wrong. Thanks for the correction.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report