Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CRASHES

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
timsautodesk2015
425 Views, 12 Replies

CRASHES

I was hoping someone could shed some light on a serious problem I am having with Inventor. I am currently running Inventor CAM 2021, and before the latest update, Inventor would crash every time I close the application. Now after the update, it has been crashing on close, and several times throughout using the application. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks fellow users.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CGBenner
in reply to: timsautodesk2015

@timsautodesk2015   When this happens do you get the Crash Error Report screen, and do you send them in with your email address?

Can you describe the system you are running the software on?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 13
mcgyvr

Often times the graphics card drivers used seem to cause crashes..

Have you ensured you have the latest graphics card driver installed from the card manufacturers site?

Have you installed all updates for Inventor?

Have you tried to unload the CAM addin and see if the crashes go away?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 13

Hi Tim,

Did you submit the crash report? Do you happen to have the crash report ID? Please make sure all critical Windows updates are installed. If you unload Inventor CAD add-in, does it still crash on close?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 13
timsautodesk2015
in reply to: CGBenner

I was submitting crash reports for a long time, but problems were not being addressed, besides, I have to keep 12 CNC machines running, so I really don't have time to submit a crash report every time it happens. Inventor crashed 10 or more times yesterday alone, ...who has time for that? I think if they are going to give us a beta version, and sell it as a full version, we shouldn't have to pay full price for it. I do love the software, however I think the support for the software is poor, and makes it hard to get answers quickly. I can't wait two days or more to get an answer. Most people who use this software can't either. My PC meets all the guidelines for the software, so I can only assume it's the software causing these issues. Hate to say it, but Mastercam never gave me this many issues.

Message 6 of 13

I was submitting crash reports for a long time, but problems were not being addressed, besides, I have to keep 12 CNC machines running, so I really don't have time to submit a crash report every time it happens. Inventor crashed 10 or more times yesterday alone, ...who has time for that? I think if they are going to give us a beta version, and sell it as a full version, we shouldn't have to pay full price for it. I do love the software, however I think the support for the software is poor, and makes it hard to get answers quickly. I can't wait two days or more to get an answer. Most people who use this software can't either. My PC meets all the guidelines for the software, so I can only assume it's the software causing these issues. Hate to say it, but Mastercam never gave me this many issues, granted it wasn't near as powerful as Inventor.

Message 7 of 13

I was submitting crash reports for a long time, but problems were not being addressed, besides, I have to keep 12 CNC machines running, so I really don't have time to submit a crash report every time it happens. Inventor crashed 10 or more times yesterday alone, ...who has time for that? I think if they are going to give us a beta version, and sell it as a full version, we shouldn't have to pay full price for it. I do love the software, however I think the support for the software is poor, and makes it hard to get answers quickly. I can't wait two days or more to get an answer. Most people who use this software can't either. My PC meets all the guidelines for the software, so I can only assume it's the software causing these issues. Hate to say it, but Mastercam never gave me this many issues, granted it wasn't near as powerful as Inventor.

Message 8 of 13
SBix26

If it were simply poorly developed software, then many or most users would be experiencing this.  At least from the evidence of this forum, that is not the case.  The fact that multiple machines in your office are experiencing the same rare problem makes it likely that interaction with another application that you all use is the problem, whether an Inventor add-in, or something entirely unrelated, such as a mouse driver.  Unfortunately, it's hard to diagnose in a forum like this; on-site or remote-in is needed.  Is your reseller local?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.2.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 9 of 13

Hi Tim,

I am very sorry to hear the trouble and instability you are encountering. Those are bugs to be fixed or have been fixed. Please take a look at Autodesk Desktop App or log on to manage.autodesk.com to find the updates. Inventor CAM 2021.3 update is already available. Please install it. Also install Inventor 2021.2 update.

https://cam.autodesk.com/releases/inventor-hsm-releases/inventor-cam-2021-3-release-notes

Please let us know if the crashes are resolved.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 10 of 13
timsautodesk2015
in reply to: SBix26

With all due respect, have you been on the forums page? There are a ton of complaints, and like I said, I love the software! I never said it was "poorly developed software" as you stated. It is extremely powerful, and useful software, but I stand behind my statement about support whole heartedly. As you know, the software is used by manufacturers, and we cannot afford to take two or three days to resolve an issue, and knowing this...I feel the support structure should be set up for this. My reseller unfortunately may not get back with me on an issue for two or three days as well, so I have reluctantly wrote them off for any help. So again, in the end, the user is forced to work around the issues. Needless to say, I have become pretty good at finding alternative solutions. I am extremely fluent with the software,  and have an extensive background in building work PCs for several CAD/CAM applications. So as it may be a hardware, or another application causing the daily issues, I truly doubt it. Ever since I started using Inventor in 2015, I have noticed a huge communication gap between the user, and the development team. I appreciate your quick response although, it did not resolve the issue.

Message 11 of 13

Thank you for the quick response, however I do keep up on the updates through my desktop app. As a matter of fact, a lot of the issues seem to start every time there is an update. I have downloaded the latest updates.

Message 12 of 13
mcgyvr

@timsautodesk2015  Next time it crashes.. Please submit the report or gather up the associated files for people on this forum to examine..  @johnsonshiue can look up any reports and typically gets back fairly quickly (much quicker than 2 days) and can hopefully help point to the reasons for the crash. 

Opinions about support usefulness/promptness,etc.. though are well.. useless at moving your issue forward. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 13 of 13

Hi Tim,

Again, I am sorry for the trouble you are having. I suspect the crash could be related to Inventor CAM Add-In. For CAM related issues, it is better to post it on HSM Support forum, where there are CAM experts helping regularly.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-support-forum/bd-p/216

Please let me know if you submit a crash report (or the report ID). I can take a look to understand the issue better. What @mcgyvr said about Subscription Support was not true. I am not a substitute to Support team. The team is helping many users all over the world around the clock. For critical issues, it is better to contact Subscription Support and have a case reported. This will leave a record and the issue can be tracked more efficiently.

I am an expert on Inventor. I am here to offer tips, tricks, education, workarounds, and sometimes excuses to some issues, so that the user can proceed with their tasks.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report