Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not start print job

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
rjay75
19517 Views, 20 Replies

Could not start print job

I have a machine in which the users profile had to be reconstructed. This caused all the printers to be reloaded and Inventor along with everything else be reconfigured. In the process all outstanding updates were applied to Inventor Professional 2017.

Now whenever the user tries to print an error dialog appears simply stating "Could not start print job." Every other application on the machine can print without issue. This occurs on any drawing and to any printer network, local, or file base (ie... to pdf).

Has anyone seen this before? If so do you know of any resolutions?

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: rjay75

@rjay75

Not sure if this will help or not but the issue may be related to Windows Security updates that are present on your machine

Review the following https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/revit-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles... and https://synergiscadblog.com/2016/09/13/having-trouble-printing-from-your-autodesk-products/

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 21
rjay75
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

@Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately those updates aren't installed on the users machine so still looking.

Message 4 of 21
ADSKDJW4

Hello @rjay75,

I have read the post and not sure what might be going on here either. I reviewed the error "cant start print job" internally and there are no recent reports of this being reported on our end. It points to other products too, like Adobe, WordPad, Etc. Seems to be more a Microsoft error. Does the error message that pops up have a header on it stating its Inventor error message?

Best Regards,

Don

Message 5 of 21
rjay75
in reply to: ADSKDJW4

Hello @ADSKDJW4,

print_error.png

This is a screenshot of the error. At the moment Inventor is the only application on the machine with this error.

Thanks

Message 6 of 21
ADSKDJW4

Hello @rjay75,

I understand the issue is with the users account at this time. On that same machine does the error also pop up when logged into as the default local administrator profile? If you can use that one can you try another user profile on that machine and let me know.

Regards,

Don

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous

Hello,

I stumbled upon this forum- The students at my school are having the same issue. They are windows 10 devices. As mentioned by previous user, the Microsoft updates suggested are not applicable. Multiple users are having the same issue across multiple devices. Some users are newly created profiles. Some are not. Both styles can not print. It appears as if the printing error only occurs from within the Autodesk platform. All users can print normally using any other application.

Any suggestions? 

Thanks!

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

UPDATE:

Even under local/default profile; printing can not be started. Same error message pops up as previously posted. From local/default profile, user can print from all other applications except for Inventor. Is there a patch that will need to be applied? 

Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you.

Message 9 of 21
ADSKDJW4

Hello @rjay75, @Anonymous,

I had found a similar post on the Revit forum speaking of the same issue. Could you see if the below helps?

I just uninstalled this update and now I can print again.

Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)

If you can find the equivalent Windows 7 update and uninstall it, that might fix your problem?

Regards,

Don

Message 10 of 21
Anonymous

Thanks Don,

The machine(s) in questions are Windows 10 Enterprise x64. Unfortunately we do not have that security update installed on the device. 

Thanks again for your help. I'm at a loss.

Josh

Message 11 of 21
Anonymous

Any one have any ideas? update is not installed. 

Thanks.

Message 12 of 21
ADSKDJW4

Hello @Anonymous,

At this time we cannot duplicate the message to appear. The only option I can suggest would be to re-image the machine to just Windows, MS Office, and Inventor 2016. Verify you can print after that. Then one by one load in your applications and test the printing after each one is installed to see if you can print from 2016 Inventor. I realize the work here but it is the only thing I can suggest at this time.

Regards,

Don

Message 13 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi! Maybe you have already tried it. This sounds like user profile privilege issue. Could you do a simple test? Close Inventor and go to Inventor start up icon -> right-click -> Run as Administrator. Now try to print it. Does it work?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 14 of 21
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson Shiue- THANK YOU!

That seemed to work. Now I will just need to allow the program to run as an administrator for all students using the program.

Thank you again!

Message 15 of 21
Anonymous

Delayed response: the issue was repaired, now unable to start even running as an admin. 

Any ideas?

Message 16 of 21
johnsonshiue

Hi Joshua,

I am sorry that I am confused. You mentioned that the issue was fixed by running Inventor as Admin. Now, you said Inventor did not run even as Admin. Is that true? It sounds like there is some sort of security setting or user profile disallowing Inventor.exe to start. Is there any change in that regard?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 21
jweiss1313
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Why does Inventor need to be run as an administrator to print?  I have one user out of 30 that is having this issue just after we upgraded to Inventor 2019.  No users have admin accounts and not users run Inventor as an admin.

Our company does not permit users to have admin accounts, and why do 29 installs work properly and only one has this issue? 

I understand that running as a admin makes the error go away but in my view this is not a resolution to the underlying problem.

Does Autodesk recommend that Inventor always be run as an admin?

Thanks for your feedback on my questions.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 18 of 21
jweiss1313
in reply to: jweiss1313

I just tried to have the user run Inventor as an admin and the UAC is prompting him for a password.  I cannot give users an admin password and I am not permitted to make users local admins on their machine.  What else can be done so this user can print.

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 19 of 21
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: jweiss1313

@jweiss1313 

Have a user that's working on their machine log into this machine and see if they can repeat the issue or it works fine for them.  You could also do the reverse and have this user log into another machine.   At this point I'm pointing to a Windows user account issue or their Inventor profile in the registry is messed up.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 20 of 21
jweiss1313
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the speedy reply.  I had others login to his machine and they did not have any issues printing.  Must be a profile or registry error.  I'll look into a little more and see if I can fix it.

Having the user open Inventor as an admin in a restrictive environment like our company is not an option.

Thanks again!

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report