Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Copy Drawing Sheet From Sub-Assembly To Main While Changing Ref Model

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
jzcrouse
309 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor Copy Drawing Sheet From Sub-Assembly To Main While Changing Ref Model

I was wondering if there was a way to copy a drawing/sheet from a subassembly drawing to a main assembly drawing while changing the reference model but keeping all the dimensions I placed in the sub assembly drawing. Basically I have a main assembly with no drawings and I want all the drawings for the subassemblies in that main one by making the other parts invisible in the main assembly and detailing from there. So all the drawings will reference the main assembly only not individual sub assemblies.

However, I created drawings for each sub assemblies that do not reference the main assembly. Any way I can copy and paste my work or will I just need to re-draw everything?

thanks  

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: COPY DRAWING

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: jzcrouse

@jzcrouse

I'll throw this idea out there..

While in your drawing you could do the replace model reference function located on the manage ribbon tab but I'm not 100% sure if that will meet your requirements (since I read your requirement 2 ways).

However before going down that road, select Tools/Document settings/Drawing tab and make sure to select the preserve orphan annotations option.  That way if a annotation fails it changes colors and doesn't disappear.  I would provide screen shots but I don't have Inventor currently loaded.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 3

I'm not sure how to fix your problem but i have a couple of ideas.

The first one is to create another drawing sheet of your main assembly and label your sub assemblies within by leader text or custom balloons.  then title your subassembly sheets accordingly so that the sub assembly drawing sheets are now reference to the main assembly drawing.  Based on certain criteria I'm aware this option may be unacceptable and the parts list may not function as wanted.

Secondly when creating drawings for your projects ( in the future ) use the REPRESENTATIONS VIEWS to modify your main assembly to show the subassemblies by themselves ( this is done by creating a new view, turn all unwanted parts invisible and then saving your work or returning to the default view) *do not suppress*.  They will always be part of the main assembly drawing view even when your main assembly changes ( accordingly)  and when you create a new drawing u can pick which of the views u want to use or the whole assembly ( default ) if u wanted. this also keeps the parts list consistent and the balloons to reference each part/subassembly. 

Hope this helps. good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report