Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy design but all files in one folder

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
matthijsUB4HC
215 Views, 5 Replies

Copy design but all files in one folder

Hi, I need a method to:

- copy an assembly

- also make a copy of all the subassemblies and parts, except the parts and subassemblies in a specific folder and subfolders

- the parts for the assemblies should link to the new copied assemblies, except for the parts and subassemblies in a specific folder and subfolders

- put all the copied files in ONE (1) folder, so no subfolders in the new copy.

Labels (2)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
IgorMir
in reply to: matthijsUB4HC

Pack and Go does that.
Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 3 of 6
matthijsUB4HC
in reply to: IgorMir

Pack & go creates a new ipj file which messes up the project. I just want to copy the assembly within the same project.

I tried pack & go and I encountered more than one problem:
- a lot of parts are not copied
- files still hold reference to the original file, and not the copied files

You know, I should've added it in the thread but I tried copy design, which does a fairly good job, but keeps the folder structure. Copy design also does this weird trick that names the root folder workspace\new project folder\old project folder; whereas it should be workspace\new project folder.

I use Inventor Professional 2021 with Vault Basic 21.
Message 4 of 6
IgorMir

Hi Matthijs,

To use either of the routine successfully some certain rules should be followed. Speaking of P&G - here they are:
1. Place copied files in the location away from your work Project file. So the Inventor can't see them. Desktop is fairly common place for that.

2. Make the Project file created by P&G current.

3. Open the upper level copied assembly and make sure there is no unresolved files in it. Rectify if necessary.

4. Close the assembly and open it in Design Assistant. Rename all the files in there. It will preserve all the links in copied assembly.

5. Check the renamed assembly in Inventor again. If no issue reported - copy the folder into the directory which your work project is looking into.

6. Change the project file in Inventor to the one you normally use.

7. After making sure all new files are behaving properly - you can delete the folder from your Desktop.

When dealing with P&G tool don't forget to select associated drawings as well. It is overlooked often enough, BTW. The IDW files can although be renamed in DA. But frankly - it takes so much time to get them open by the DA that more often than not I just rename them manually. By doing so one should be careful and know what he/she is doing, of course.

All pro all - it is quite doable. But it is certainly not a one click away business.
Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 6
blandb

Do you use vault?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 6
pcrawley

Vault Copy Design:  You can select exactly what you copy / exclude / replace - and where all the files go (in terms of folder structure).

In the Copy Design window, set the "Copy From" and "Copy To" locations first.  Go through the assembly structure selecting what to copy and what to reuse.  (Note that holding the Ctrl key while selecting a subassembly will select all its child components).  Finally, change the view "Folder View" so you see a flat list - sort by "Vault Path" and set your single destination folder.  (You can right-click in that column and do things like "Find & Replace All" - making the process satisfyingly quick.)

pcrawley_0-1723498066316.png

Double-check your work before hitting Ok.

Peter

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report