Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Inventor Part To Solid Works Shows Differences

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
t.beun
332 Views, 4 Replies

Converting Inventor Part To Solid Works Shows Differences

Hello everyone,

It seems to me that there are problems with converting an .ipt to a Solid Works part. Our manufacturer uses Solid Works. I send an .ipt to the manufacturer and they opened it in Solid Works. Solid Works showed differences between the Solid Works part and the Inventor part. Two holes had been disappeared, and 2 other holes where placed at the bottom at an angle. It seems to me that Solid Works is mistaking with workplanes or something like that. Is there anyone who has had this problem too? Why is Solid Works doing this? Is there a solution for it? What we do now is convert via a .STEP file.

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Thomas    

kelly.young has edited your subject line for clarity: Converting Inventor part to Soldi Works

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Thomas_Savage
in reply to: t.beun

Hello,

You can open Inventor files in solidworks, and it does recognize Inventor features.

But i usually save the .ipt as .Step or . iges files. To send to someone who uses Solidworks.

I think you could always get a few problems when opening an .ipt in another software. 

Thomas.

Thomas Savage

Design Engineer

Message 3 of 5
mcgyvr

@t.beun wrote:

Hello everyone,

It seems to me that there are problems with converting an .ipt to a Solid Works part. Our manufacturer uses Solid Works. I send an .ipt to the manufacturer and they opened it in Solid Works. Solid Works showed differences between the Solid Works part and the Inventor part. Two holes had been disappeared, and 2 other holes where placed at the bottom at an angle. It seems to me that Solid Works is mistaking with workplanes or something like that. Is there anyone who has had this problem too? Why is Solid Works doing this? Is there a solution for it? What we do now is convert via a .STEP file.

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

Thomas    

Did you check with solidworks to see if the problem is because of their software?

Sounds like a problem you should be discussing with them.. 

But yes a step file is the best method to exchange 3d cad data to other software.. I'd suggest you keep doing that..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Hello,

I maybe reply too late, but my answer can help the other readers of this post.

Datakit develops a plug-in to import inventor files in SolidWorks. It can have better results than the native Inventor import in SW.

Another solution is also to convert your ipt files to sldprt with CrossManager.

Take a look at this link to see more about the two solutions: http://www.datakit.com/cad-convertors/inventor-to-solidworks-3d/16-3-0.html

Message 5 of 5
JDMather

Can you attach an example *.ipt and resulting *.sldprt that exhibits this behavior?

Given that the native kernel for SolidWorks is Parasolid - I would probably save as *.x_b for transfer.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report