Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting a solid to sheet metal - IV 2011

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
porter-jeff
2659 Views, 10 Replies

Converting a solid to sheet metal - IV 2011

What I have done is make a shape as a solid and am attemping to create faces from sketches on the solid to make a sheet metal part.  It was just easier for conceptual purposes to make the solid model first.  The majority of the part with be pieced together and welded (no bent corners).  There is a rolled cylindrical portion of the part that meets up with drafted faces.  I would like to make a flat pattern for this, but I can't seem to create a face.  The rolled portion would be done in two pieces, broken at the tangencies.  I have attached the "solid" file and a "shelled" file for conceptual purposes.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  Maybe I'm just going about this all together wrong.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: porter-jeff

Am I  missing something here? How was Sketch1 created without a workplane?
I think that might be the first time I have seen this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 11
porter-jeff

It was created from a very old mdt file, and in turn designed with mdt 2009 and converted to IV 2011. Should have mentioned that.
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

I used 1 Rip, but you could of course trim into two halves for two parts.

I assume you were only after the cylindical piece since the others are trivial.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 11
JDMather
in reply to: JDMather

Improved version (removed 1 Trim feature combined into first trim).

You might need to modify a bit to take into account thickness of mating pieces if finished outside (or inside) dimensions are critical.  (subtract Thickness from 20" height and from 12" height )

Message 6 of 11
porter-jeff
in reply to: JDMather

I see where I went wrong.  I  appreciate the help.

Message 7 of 11
JDMather

Would you like to see how I would do the rest of the model?  Thought I would give you a bit of time to chew on it yourself first.

Message 8 of 11
porter-jeff

I think seeing the rest of the model may help me.  I'm a little new to the sheet metal aspect, so anything would be a benifit at this point.

Message 9 of 11
JDMather

Here is one way.

You might trim a bit as the nature of sheet metal assemblies (see attached image).

I created a master multi-body solid file of all of the parts and then pushed them out to individual part files.

Then I converted to two cylindrical parts to sheet metal so that they would unfold.

This might be a bit beyond beginner level to follow exactly what I did.  Of course each part could be made individually, but using this master model technique if a change is needed it updates all of the parts.

Message 10 of 11
porter-jeff

That is definately different than what I was doing, but I think I follow your intention.  I will try trimming the edges back so the welding can be performed from the outside with open corners.  That should give me some practice on the technique.   I've been playing around with making the parts adaptive, that seems to work ok, and the parts should change in relation to one another.  I'm going to practice the weldment assembly on this too.  Thanks for the help, this should keep me occupied for a while.

Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

excuse me, can you help me! please.

i can not flat pattern,i don`t understand why? I converted a 3dcad to inventor,and then I went to flat pattern.

help me. thank you so much

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report