Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Contraint Error

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
907 Views, 19 Replies

Contraint Error

Having a problem: Running Autodesk Inventor 8

Assembly File is 601 KB

When I try to do a constraint I keep getting this message

The instruction at “0x74985c91” referenced memory at “0x00000000”. The memory could not be “read”.

Inventor then shuts down.
I have deleted everything out of the temp folder, shut down all anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, anti-spam, outlook, everything except Inventor 8 but still get the same message.
Have the same problem even if I reboot and open in safe mode.

Computer it is running on:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2
Dell Precision PWS390
Intel CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
1.86 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram

Any suggestions?
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Inventor 8 is a rather old release, I assume it has been installed for some time.
If you haven't recently - I would reformat the harddrive and re-install and make sure all Service Packs and Hotfixes are installed. We reformat our hard drives twice a year most years and at least once a year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

this might be an indication of a hard drive failing. search google for "hard drive check". XP has a hard drive checking program built in, so you don't need to download one.
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

Uninstalled Inventor then reinstalled - made sure all service packs are installed - still having the same problem.
As for the reformatting the harddrive - that is probably over my head
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Did a chkdsk /r and found no problem
Currently have 36.4 GB used space and 112 GB free space on the hard drive.
Message 6 of 20
JDMather

Can you zip and attach the files here? Does the problem occur only with this assembly?
You might also try going to Tools>Application Settings>Hardware tab and set to lowest radio button Open GL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 20
JDMather

I would do a defrag as well.

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

Yes I did a defrag also
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

I will try to do a pack and go then zip and send.
Problem is only in this assembly - I can open other assemblies and everything works fine.
On the hardware tab it is set on Use optimization setting recommended by Autodesk Inventor
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

try this as a test: save as the problem assembly as another assembly and see if the problem still exists.
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

OK tried that - still getting the same error message
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

If you are getting the same message for the newly created assembly, then you can rule out the hard drive as the problem. It is something in the assembly file.
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

Do you already have several constraints in the assembly or is this the first one you placed? I have had corrupted assemblies in the past that would not allow a constraint to be made even though I could drag the part into the exact same location. Sometimes angular constraints like to "flip" when reopening an assembly causing errors.

You may want to try executing a "rebuild all" from the tools menu and see if that clears things up. Or like I mentioned above, try to drag the component into a position near where you actually want it with your constraint and it may just take.
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

Opened original assembly and started deleteing the last components I installed, so far have not been able to delete any components - every time I try the hour glass shows - then it shows not responding - then after 1/2 hour I get the same error message. Looks like I have to start from the beginning - my fear is that I will have the same problem.
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Tried the rebuild all - after it was done tried a constraint - Inventor locked up and then received same error message
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

I know this is going to sound like a waste of time, but if other assemblies do not have this problem, is it possible to reconstruct it from scratch? If it's an assembly of a 1000 parts with 3000 constraints it's obviously not an option, but if it's just a few parts it may be easier than trying to fix the existing one.

It would be nice to know what caused the problem and how to prevent it from happening again. Also, do you have the option of trying to open it on another machine?

We've had near identical machines here and on occasion an assembly would not open on one, but would on the other. I don't know if we ever figured out what the problem was, but it got us through to fight another day.
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

Only option to open is this computer, I am in the process now of reconstructing from scratch - my fear is whatever cause the problem the first time - is it going to happen again!
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

nevermind
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

Started from scratch rebuilding the assembly - everything worked fine this time. Still don't know what went wrong the first time but this time it all works.

Thanks everybody for your help

Chuck
Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

It's never any fun to have to redo work and not find out what caused the problem. At least you have a good attitude about it unlike some (*cough* Cadman777 *cough*).

If you ever figure out what caused it let us know.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report