Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center Part's User Parameter Does Not Update

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
cadman777
1296 Views, 23 Replies

Content Center Part's User Parameter Does Not Update

Hello All,

This is a long time problem.

Just haven't had time to sniff it out until today, and I just can't figure it out.

Maybe someone in here can help?

Here's the deal:

I created a User Library from the out-of-the-box library parts.
In this case, the parts are pipe.

I added my own User Parameters for use in the BOM/Parts List.

For example, I added "G_D_Nom" for Nominal Diameter of pipes.

When manually placing the part from the C/C all Parameters are good.

But when I use the Frame Generator, the "G_D_Nom" Parameter always defaults to the size of the first part in the Family Table.

I wouldn't mind the problem if there was a 'quick fix' in the BOM, but I have not figured out a 'quick fix' using the BOM.

Does anybody have any ideas why that happens and how to fix it?

Does anybody know a quick fix for this problem using the BOM or some other tool?

Thanx

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
blandb
in reply to: cadman777

Can you not just create a custom column in the family table and have it set as shown:

2019-10-03_15-37-41.jpg

then use the custom parameter in the Parts list?

2019-10-03_15-38-41.jpg

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 24
cadman777
in reply to: blandb

blandb,

Thanx for your reply.

Here's what I have:

1. Family table (reused what came w/Inventor)

Inventor-FamilyTable-G_D_Nom iProperty-1.JPG

2. iProperties in C/C part instance

Inventor-FamilyTable-G_D_Nom iProperty-2.JPG

3. Parameters in C/C part instance

Inventor-FamilyTable-G_D_Nom iProperty-3.JPG

That's my setup. Maybe that will help give you a clue what's going on?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 4 of 24
cadman777

Hey Guys ...

Anybody have any further input on this for me?
I've been letting the issue sit idle FOR YEARS b/c everything I tried didn't work.

My suspicion is it has to do with AUTHORING the parts.

But it's been a long time since I did that, so can't recall what I may have done wrong.

Any takers?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 5 of 24
blandb

Instead of mapping it to a parameter, why not just a custom property and utilize the property in your description?

Message 6 of 24
cadman777

Because I use it in different ways in my work flow and b/c of how the Family Table is arranged.

I basically made a database of my own to use for BOMs and other data shown on drawings.

My goal was to eliminate ALL ERROR in drawing production.

Little did I know that is impossible unless you can write VBA.

Anyways, I got 95% w/my method, but still have a few quirks to work out.

I have been cursing the FG for a decade for BS like this.

Do you have any idea why it won't update when using the FG, and how to fix it?

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 7 of 24
blandb

If you have added the custom parameter to you part, then replaced the family template. You can go to the family table and make sure you have a column called "G_D_NOM". Make that equal to the Nominal dia of the family and save it.

Right-click on the family and choose "Family Properties" > Parameter Mapping tab > Template Parameters > Find the table column called G_D_Nom and choose the ellipsis > choose parameters > user > and the user parameter you desire. 

Message 8 of 24
cadman777

Already did all that before coming in here.

That's why I'm in here, b/c nothing I do works, not even that.

I vaguely recall, but can't remember if it's correct, that if I have a Parameter AND an iProperty in the part, and don't author the part w/the Parameter in the Family Table at the time of Authoring, I'll have this problem. Does anybody want to verify that?

I also vaguely recall, but can't remember, there's a procedure to use to delete the Parameter and just use the iProperty. I will lose some functionality in my work-flow from doing that, but it may re-enable the populating of this Property into the BOM.

Otherwise, it is possible my C/C part is broken, or is this caused by the FG not playing well w/custom C/C parts?

Anyways, I'd hoped to find someone in here who'd done enough customizing, and REMEMBERS the fine nit picky minutia details of exceptions and exclusions and WORK-AROUNDS in the process, that they'd recognize my problem and remember how they fixed it when they had it, or else how they CIRCUMVENTED it with a certain work-flow. I have this problem with a number of my parts, such as W-beams. The WT value doesn't populate properly, just like the Nominal Diameter. So I'm inclined to say it's not any 'broken' custom authored parts. It's something else.

I sure wish there was someone in here who knows something about this and wants to share their hard-earned info.

Cheers

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 9 of 24
blandb

I'm pretty sure what I have on my system is everything you are looking for....the things you are asking for I'm pretty sure have been shown to work on this thread... if not then I'm not sure what you are trying to do...
Message 10 of 24
cadman777

I'm trying to get the ipt's Parameter to get its data from the values found in the Family Table column that is mapped to the ipt's iProperty, which is the same name as said Parameter.

But it never does.

It always takes only the first value in the Family Table column WHEN THE FRAME GENERATOR USES THE C/C PART, BUT NOT WHEN I MANUALLY USE THE PART.

WHY?

I showed you my setup in the above screen shots.

WHAT do you see that's wrong?

WHAT needs to change and HOW so the FRAME GENERATOR will receive the correct data for its parts?

That's all I'm asking.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 11 of 24
blandb

Below, nothing has been done to the nominal size, I have created a column in the family table that is G_D_Nom and making it equal to Nominal diameter. There are no mappings of this column.

2019-10-08_8-24-22.jpg

After placing one of the members into an assembly, open it directly. Then add the user parameter called C_D_Nom with the export check mark. Save the file. Replace the family template with the file just saved.

Go back to the editor, but click on the family properties of the family > Parameter mapping > Template Parameters > Find the column from the table called G_D_Nom and make it set to the User parameter of the part called C_D_Nom as below:

2019-10-08_8-29-57.jpg

Now, when I was testing mine, and added members to FG, the property updated as shown:

2019-10-08_8-34-05.jpg2019-10-08_8-35-12.jpg

hope that helps

Message 12 of 24
cadman777

OK, THANX A LOT for that detailed procedure!

I had done everything that you show EXCEPT ONE THING:

I did not go to the 'Part Template Parameters' dialogue and pick the G_D_Nom Parameter out of the list.

Why not?
B/c it already showed in the 'Template Parameters' field when I opened it up to do the procedure.

In the past, I just ASSUMED it was 'OK' since it showed up there.

WHY would it show up there if it wasn't yet registered w/the program?

So, apparently, even though the correct Parameter name appears in that table after a Family Table edit, you STILL have to shove it up Inventor's arse to get the change to register w/Inventor. WHY THIS DOUBLE-DOWN procedure? Why didn't the Family Table already register that Parameter when you ASSIGNED IT while editing the Family table? WTF??

This is the kind of convoluted thing that burns my arse.

Anyways ...

THANX TO YOU, I have fixed, ONCE AND FOR ALL.

Also, I now have it documented now, for future use.

Much obliged!!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 13 of 24
blandb

No problem, but I thought I had mentioned the parameter tab yesterday, but maybe you thought I was referring to mapping parameter in the column properties instead.

Glad you finally got it to work!

Message 14 of 24
cadman777

I just needed to see every step.

Too much in my head to translate the words into dialogue boxes.

Thanx again!

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 15 of 24
emanuel.c

Any idea why I don't have the 3 dots in the Family Mapping -> Parameter Mapping -> Template Parameters? ...
It is obviously a copied content family etc.
Message 16 of 24
cadman777
in reply to: emanuel.c

Sorry, I don't know.

Did you copy it so it's Read-Write?

Maybe that's the problem?

I never had that problem, so not sure what to look for or what to ask to troubleshoot.

... Chris
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Message 17 of 24
emanuel.c

Hmm, I'm sure it is. I mean I go through the whole table and edit it without a problem...

Will keep looking. I like what you said awhile back about "trying to eliminate errors". That's what I'm working on too, making sure the stock number feeds from parameters etc.

Thanks!

Message 18 of 24
SharkDesign

Are you using frame generator as in the first post? A lot of this is handled in the file naming defaults in application options now. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 19 of 24
emanuel.c

I'm not sure I understand and I may have highjacked the post. Basically what I need is to have for content center pipes a parameter "G_D_nom" which is populated by the table column {SIZE_SEL}. Or in short I need a parameter with the nominal size, whenever used, whether frame generated or placed from content center. Thanks!

Message 20 of 24
SharkDesign

I think to do this you have to save the item as 'custom' add the parameter, then back in CC right click the family and use 'replace family template.' that the parameter will show up in the mapping column.

Make sure it's not read only, make sure your filter isn't set to 'merged'

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report