Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center - Is there really not a way to move families to a new category?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
BrandonW9
1191 Views, 3 Replies

Content center - Is there really not a way to move families to a new category?

Our content center has been added to and created by several different people over the years, I'd like to reorganize a bit...

There are some categories i'd like to combine, other families that got put in what was the right category at the time, but now they belong in a different one, etc...

Is there any way to get this done?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: BrandonW9

Hi! Unfortunately, I am not aware of a way to move an existing family to a new category. You will need to republish the family to the new category.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 4
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: BrandonW9

@BrandonW9

Once something is placed in (published to) Content Center they are "locked" in that position and can't be relocated or combined.  It even gets more complicated if you already placed CC components from given families into your assembly.   At this point I would suggest leaving it as is.  Meaning you would have to start from scratch to correct what you want but that will also lead to issues to existing models if you go to replace from CC.

Update:  Another suggestion but its not a good one..  Smiley Very Happy  Others who are in the same boat as you, use the Content Center Favorite function and use that as way to overcome a content center interface that may need to be recreated from scratch (like you need).  However this has its setback as well.  The more you add to your CC favorites, the slower Content Center will open up.  Also if you are using Inventor 2018, you can add your CC favorites as a separate browser which allows you to access your favorites without accessing CC.  But in doing so, it creates a performance issue/delays within Inventor every time you start or open a part or assembly.  Meaning don't do that..  Smiley Very Happy

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 4 of 4
BrandonW9
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I feared as much, but figured i would ask again anyway. Thank you for the detailed reply!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report