Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content center doesn't recognise user parameters

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
harvey_craig2RCUH
396 Views, 7 Replies

Content center doesn't recognise user parameters

I have created ferrule iPart for placing in GA drawings. None of the model sizes need to change, as the drawings are just for illustration. The colour should change and descriptions for the BOM.

Here is the iPart table:

harvey_craig2RCUH_0-1713167409784.png

Descriptions are in red because I wrote them with excel rules. The size and surface are user parameters. I have set these up because I would like to have them as parameters in the select menu for content center. I generate the files, I publish the part, I categorise as tube and pipes. I map as:

harvey_craig2RCUH_1-1713167409791.png

I define my key columns:

harvey_craig2RCUH_2-1713167409789.png

Then I create my assembly and place from content center:

harvey_craig2RCUH_3-1713167409788.png

My user parameters surface and size, didn't carry across and are just marked as zero. In the table view:

harvey_craig2RCUH_4-1713167409790.png

The column titles are red. Why haven't they carried? What am I doing wrong or should I be doing this another way?

Many thanks,

Harvey

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Could you upload the model that you used to publish the part to the content centre.

It might be easier to see what's going on with that.

Dave Cutting
Message 3 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: harvey_craig2RCUH

Can you post a content library containing this family?  It's hard to tell what's wrong from the picture.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 4 of 8

Hi @dave.cutting & @SBix26 ,

I struggled to locate the library as it was set up with Vault, so I have recreated the problem locally so I could get the file. I have the same issue here with the '0' in the size and surface columns:

harvey_craig2RCUH_0-1713280549166.png

I have attached the iPart file and the library (I had to zip to allow it to attach).

Cheers,

Harvey

Message 5 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: harvey_craig2RCUH

Somehow in the publishing process Inventor made the Surface and Size columns as numeric (Data Type = Real) rather than text (Data Type = String).  Obviously you can't put text in a numeric field, so 0 is all you get.

I have to admit to never having started from an iPart in all my years of work with Content Center.  I always created my part, authored it to the desired CC category, then added columns, mappings, and additional rows to suit my needs.   I'm afraid that may be what you'll need to do here.  You can edit the Family Table with Excel to make it easier to fill, but formulas need to be managed in column properties in the CC Editor.  They don't convert from Excel if I recall correctly (it's been a few years).

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2025 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 6 of 8

With the part that you uploaded, when clicking through the table, none of the sizes change, only the colours.

Was that your intention?

I only ask, as I assumed that the diameters would change for the various sizes, 3", 4" etc.

Dave Cutting
Message 7 of 8
harvey_craig2RCUH
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you, I will build my part using your method. I use the excel method when making my iPart anyway. So I've done most the work for this one. Cheers! 

Message 8 of 8

This project is for creating GA drawings. The sizes don't need to change on the drawing as they are for illustration purposes only. The size will be reported in the BOM and the data from the family table will populate the BOM.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report