Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Content Center & Frame Generation Problem

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
jelle_nobus
120 Views, 6 Replies

Content Center & Frame Generation Problem

Hi,

After doing some update to add a feature to our content center library, i am not able to use our content center structural shapes in frame generator. 

When i try and save the frame, i get the error message "A frame member could not be created. The template for [Content Center Part] could not be located in the content center library"

Even tough, when i place a part from the content center manually i am able to place them...

Can anyone help me with this problem? 

(I know i could just redo the library parts, but id have to redo all the strucural shapes.. which i would like to avoid if possible)

For some extra context. i wanted to add angled drafts to each end of the created strucural shape (which are supressed by default) but after doing the "Replace Family Template" im getting this issue. 

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
CGBenner
in reply to: jelle_nobus

@jelle_nobus 

Hello.  Frame Generator basically uses the Profile shape, and two very specific work planes which are specified during the Authoring of the part for use with FG.  By modifying the Family Template part, you may have disrupted or deleted some of these authoring features.

Can you share one of your frame member parts here for us to look at?  And also, maybe a screen shot of what you are trying to achieve, so we can offer some suggestions?

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 7
jelle_nobus
in reply to: CGBenner

Ok, my guess would be that this is likely the cause.. 

problem is, when i try and replace the part with one i placed from the default DIN Content center parts (my custom shapes are a copy of those, only difference being the edits i made for the angled ends) i get the error message "this part is not a valid template for the selected family"

also, another question, do you know if changing the way the strucural shape is extruded will cause these issues aswell?

Part of the reason for the edits was to make sure the origin planes are in the center of the strucural shapes - with the shape being extruded to both directions equally. Ive also attached one of the strucural shapes (but i did this for all standard EN/DIN Profiles; U's, L's,I's, T's.

Message 4 of 7
CGBenner

@jelle_nobus 

Hi, thanks for sharing the part.  From a quick look, I can see that the authoring is not present on this part at all.  It must have gotten removed when you edited the part.  To author a part for use with Frame Gen., follow the steps in this (older) video.  The process hasn't changed, so as long as you can follow my video you'll be good.  Can't vouch for the creator though... lol

Here, also, is the Inventor help document on the process.

Now for the big question... may I ask what the drafts are being used for?  We might be able to offer an alternative method that doesn't interfere with FG.

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 7
blandb

I have added centerline planes but have never altered the extrusion. To get a cl plane, you just do a mid between 2 planes using the start and end planes. I believe the start and end planes are required along with the extrusion type to make it work.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 7
jelle_nobus
in reply to: CGBenner

The Idea was, you can use the drafts when for creating angled supports for steel structures - you can enable these by unsupressing the feature (Not something you'd use with Frame Generator - but mainly with placing profiles manually)

I dont actually think these even get used when placing strucural shapes with frame generator? they do appear when placed manually (which is where they are supposed to be used) but i think they dont appear in part files created with frame generator.

I also discovered i might have not used to proper part modelling required by inventor so its likely best i redo what i wanted to do.. I think the extrusion starting at the mid-plane should be doable

Message 7 of 7
CGBenner

@jelle_nobus 

If these will not be used with Frame Gen, I think my advice would be to store them in a library folder, but not publish them to the Content Center, OR publish them to CC, but not in the usual Structural Shapes location.  Maybe create a custom category for these in the CC, so you know where they are when you need them.  I think that's an approach I would have taken for something like this.  Just a thought.  🙂

Chris Benner

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report