Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

constraints broke sketch

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1011 Views, 11 Replies

constraints broke sketch

Anyone can explain below ???

1.png2.png3.png

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
asiteur
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

Could you explain what the 'LL orientation' is? Is this a custom iLogic form, an addin,....?

The pink lines in the last picture indicate that references could not be resolved. Are the lines in your sketch projected?

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

It makes sense when you have horizontal and vertical constraints in the sketch. Even editing the coordinate system will ruin the sketch. If you want a robust sketch for a slot then start with the center line as construction line and draw it at angle. Dimension the construction line with an aligned dimension. Then construct the slot around it, make the sides parallel and attach the arc centers to the ends of the construction line. This slot can be moved and rotated at will. Align it to references in the part.

Alex

Message 4 of 12
PaulMunford

Or use a sketch block...

Autodesk Marketing Manager D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 5 of 12
johnsonshiue

Hi! The error is due to the fact that the sketch coordinate system is flipped or rotated. Some constraints no longer make sense afterwards. If the workplane can rotate or move around, you might consider using UCS. The sketch coordinate system will be based on the XYZ on the UCS and when UCS moves or rotate, the sketch will adjust accordingly.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Yes. It's kinda of ilogic form.
The work plane need to be rotated for ease of assembly work later.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

hi Johnson Shiue

This part was actually assembled with a cylinder. I want to link the work plane with its orientation. In assembly file, one can mate their origin together and rotate the work plane to 30 deg, consequently, the part will be rotated 30 deg (plan view of cylinder)

I don't get why the sketch coordinate will flipped when the work plane is rotating (>=90 deg).

looking forward your opinion.

thanks

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Lesson I learnt from working with ProE : if you need a feature that can be rotated then create it rotated, even if most of the time it is at 90° angle. You mention a workplane at angle. Start by creating this workplane. Then sketch your feature using this workplane. Project the workplane to get a construction line at angle, then "glue" the feature to this construction line. If you do it right then rotating the workplane will not invalidate the feature.

Watch out : dimensions can also be - invisibly - constraining. For instance : if you draw two horizontal parallel lines and dimension the vertical distance by clicking the lines then you are automatically constraining these lines to be horizontal. You can remove the horizontal constraint from it, you still won't be able to drag them at an angle as long as the dimension is present.

Alex

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous

Hi Alex.

indeed, I'd created another work plane (i'd called it my workplane). "my workplane" will be as rotating used.
the sketch was created in 'my workplane' and properly constraint (well, 'glued'). the constraint will be removed once 'my workplane' was rotated more than 90 deg. sketch will be upside down, mirrored, constraint removed.... etc...

seem its only valid if you did not rotate it more than 90 deg.

Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

What I was suggesting is to use a workplane to define the angle, not to rotate a workplane. Look at the images. Drawing on XY but using a workplane to define where the feature is created. Any angle is accepted.

AngledWorkplane.PNGSketchFollowsRotatedWorkplane.PNG

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous

hi Alex,

first thought the solution might work, hence I recreate another part by using the approach.. but same outcome was found..
hmmm (single sketch like yours is workable)
think its solely because of coordinate system changed if we exceeded 90 deg...

Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

find attached screencast

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report