Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting two sheet metal faces with a large radius bend when edges are not parallel?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
LeviB93
347 Views, 4 Replies

Connecting two sheet metal faces with a large radius bend when edges are not parallel?

Hey all, I'm having an issue trying to connect 2 sheet metal pieces that aren't parallel around a large radius. I've looked through previous answers and attempt lofting a surface along rails and thickening, it doesn't marry up on the opposing end due to the 3d sketch being unable to tangent constrain at both ends. I have also attempted stitched boundary layers. I've attached photos of issues and files below I'm guessing the root cause is that I'm unable to tangent the 3d sketch radii to both sides correctly.

I have developed this part as a single sketch and just folded but the flanges don't end nicely on the same plane so I wanted to develop off the flat surface as you'll see in the files, that and I wanted to improve my ability with using other development methods instead of just a single sketch, face and folding up from there. My plan was after to unfold and add the desired features after getting my basic shape.

Surface-Help-001.PNG

Surface with 3 rails as center concaves in slightly without it as you can see below.

dbc96d05-9847-470b-be02-9104639ca115.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: LeviB93

Hi! There should be a better way to do that. I don't think the Boundary Patch is the right tool to use here, since the resultant geometry can become too complicated. Did you try using the Bend command in the Sheet Metal panel? If it does not work, please share the file here. I would like to take a closer look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
LeviB93
in reply to: johnsonshiue

My apologies I thought I had attached them. Just looking at bend now, I'm unable to select an edge on both sides.

Message 4 of 5
IgorMir
in reply to: LeviB93

Can't open your files, but from the pictures you have posted - the part looks to me like the attached one. In IV2020 format.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 5 of 5
LeviB93
in reply to: IgorMir

Mine is IV 2021 so that would explain, that wasn't quite it as the shorter flange is at 90° and longer flange is at 95°(up from flat). Although I was able to use the same methodology and got the piece working. Will do a test piece when I am in the workshop tomorrow and see how the bloke goes rolling it up. That extra bend line between the two is potentially the only issue but I feel it can be negated in the real world. There ends up a 0.1mm offset between the flanges but I do not consider that to be an issue compared to the older version. I've edited and attached my files in case someone runs into this issue and wanted to see the process.

your assistance is much appreciated, thank you.

Inventor-001.PNGInventor-002.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report