Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Coiling a Swept Object

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jsmith49KF2MQ
426 Views, 7 Replies

Coiling a Swept Object

Hi, I am trying to make a section of coiled tubing that moves in a zigzag motion radially. So far I have created a 30° section of the first rotation using the sweep tool. This 30° segment is a wavelength so will repeat in the next part of the coil. I have then attempted to make a path for this sweeped object to follow using the coil tool. The coil does not produce an edge or sketch that I can use to set the sweep object on the path. Is there a simple way to do this? 

Coil1.PNGCoil2.PNG

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: jsmith49KF2MQ

Attach file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 8
jsmith49KF2MQ
in reply to: JDMather

Here you go. Thank you for the fast reply.

Message 4 of 8

Hi! This is highly doable in Inventor. The tricky thing is how to get the wiggling path. Simply pattern the wiggling spline in the 2D sketch. Recreate the Coil using a horizontal profile. Create a 3D Sketch and project the splines to the Coil surface. You will get the 3D path. Lastly, create a circular profile at the start of the path.

WiggleSweep.png

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8

Hi @johnsonshiue 

Can you attach your file? I wonder if we're thinking the same thing. Thank you.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 6 of 8

Hi Kaceper,

Many thanks for the reminder! My corrupted memory is getting worse.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 8

@johnsonshiue  WOW! That's what I've been thinking about, but haven't figured it out myself yet. I was worried that the suggestions would be for a double coil, but this is great. The only thing that still puzzles me is what to do if the division is immeasurable (I think abstractly out of curiosity). I'm thinking of the case where you can't split 360 degrees into x segments (for example if one would be 25 degrees); but this is just curiosity of descriptive geometry - I don't have this problem at work; i just see how the user conundrum can develop and get complicated.
Thanks!

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 8 of 8

Hi @johnsonshiue this is fantastic help, thank you very much. I will dig into your file and try to work back from what you have done.

I appreciate your assistance!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report