Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CNC Solutions for Inventor

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
David_G_Rodriguez
1039 Views, 5 Replies

CNC Solutions for Inventor

Does anyone have any experience using HSMWorks Ultimate or Inventor CAM Ultimate for producing g-code?

We recently switched from Microvellum to Inventor with the Woodworking for Inventor addon to design our custom cabinets / millwork. However, we are currently using SolidCIM with RouterCIM Automation to create the code for the machine and nest the parts. This solution leaves much to be desired. 

I do know that Woodwork for Inventor has a nesting/CAM package available, but that would be an additional cost.

We have the Product Design and Manufacturing Collection which comes with both HSMWorks Ultimate and Inventor CAM Ultimate. I am not familiar with either or these, nor what the differences are. Would either of these programs be able to take my assemblies from inventor and make nested sheets to be cut by our CNC? We have a KOMO Fusion 512 CNC. 

SolidCIM with RouterCIM Automation does get the job done. I'm just curious if any of these other programs we have access to might provide a better solution with more integration into Autodesk Inventor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We are a high end custom cabinet and millwork shop. We do products like wine cellars, coffered ceilings, cabinets, kitchen islands, mouldings, raised-paneling, etc.

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

HSMWorks is the Autodesk Cam software for Solidworks, Inventor CAM is basically the same but made for Inventor. So to answer your question. Yes using the Inventor CAM that you have available should be perfect for doing what you are asking for.

You should have access to Inventor Nesting as well in the Product Design and Manufacturing Collection. 

Message 3 of 6

Hi,

I am not sure about capabilities of software you mention, as I had not used it.

For my CNC works I used Fusion 360 to import inventor files and generate g-code. This was mostly easy and flawless.

Cris.

Cris,
https://simply.engineering
Message 4 of 6
BDCollett
in reply to: Cris-Ideas

@Cris-Ideas wrote:

Hi,

I am not sure about capabilities of software you mention, as I had not used it.

For my CNC works I used Fusion 360 to import inventor files and generate g-code. This was mostly easy and flawless.

Cris.

The CAM in Fusion 360 is basically the same as Inventor CAM except the Fusion version is usually a bit further ahead in the latest updates etc.

Message 5 of 6

Okay great information guys. So HSM Works is Autodesk's CAM solution for Solidworks. That clears things up. I'm going to install Inventor CAM and see how it goes. Hopefully it isn't to hard to figure out.

Do you guys know how Autodesk goes about giving their users a post processor for their specific CNC machine? Would that be something we would have to pay extra for?

Appreciate the info.

Message 6 of 6

@David_G_Rodriguez wrote:

Okay great information guys. So HSM Works is Autodesk's CAM solution for Solidworks. That clears things up. I'm going to install Inventor CAM and see how it goes. Hopefully it isn't to hard to figure out.

Do you guys know how Autodesk goes about giving their users a post processor for their specific CNC machine? Would that be something we would have to pay extra for?

Appreciate the info.

There are a lot of useful videos ect around to help. You should be able to get going rather quickly with simple 3axis stuff.

You can look to Fusion 360 videos even as most will cross over and apply to Inventor.

Here is an older video on Nesting and CAM in Inventor which could be relevant.

Inventor 2019 Nesting and HSM - YouTube

As for the post processor, usually you will need someone to create it for you. I don't think Autodesk will but I know resellers do for their customers and charge for them.

There is a generic KOMO CNC Post Processor here:

Post Library for Autodesk Fusion 360 | Autodesk Fusion 360

Post for KOMO CNC Machining Center (autodesk.com)

You could try the forums:

HSM Post Processor Forum - Autodesk Community

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report