Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing tolerance on multiple dimensions

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
3438 Views, 13 Replies

Changing tolerance on multiple dimensions

Good Morning!

I am wondering if it is possible to change the tolerance on more that one dimension at a time?  I have several dimensions that have the same tolerance and currently I have to do them individually.  It would be a nice time saver to do them all at once.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi cheriseamelia,

Are you referring to drawing dimensions (*.idw) or part dimensions (*.ipt)?

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Drawing dimensions.

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

You could use copy properties. just right click on the Dimension with the tolerance in it and click copy properties and then click or do fence over the ones you want change. See the pic for what it looks like.

Message 5 of 14
andrew_faix

You could also create a dimension style with the desired tolerance value/formatting and apply that dimension style to multiple dimensions

-Andrew Faix
Principal Experience Designer
Autodesk, INC
Message 6 of 14
mdavis22569
in reply to: andrew_faix

What Andrew said is one of the easiest ways ....shown below ...or if you need it quick ..Pick all the ones you want to change ..

Capture2.PNG

dim style.png

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

It looks like she was talking about tolerance and not precision. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

I thought about styles but I have so many already I didn't really want more.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for this. I am used to SolidWorks and I kept looking for my little paint brush tool to copy properties and was lost without it.
Message 10 of 14
SER4
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

What about in a part sketch?

The reason I'd like this functionality is because I try to Retrieve Model Dimensions in my drawing (which carries in the tolerances etc. from the part), and it takes time to have to change each dimension every time in the part sketch.

I know you can edit each dimension upon creation, but what if you change your mind after you place a bunch?

P.Eng. Mechanical Engineer
Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2025.1 (30.1.63.0); Inventor Pro 2025.1.1 (241).
Message 11 of 14
andrew_faix

There's a "Copy Properties" command on the dimension right-click menu that is basically a property painter.  Check it out.

-Andrew Faix
Autodesk, INC
Message 12 of 14
SER4

@andrew_faix , if you're replying to me, then I do not see this option in the right-click menu in a PART SKETCH:

srypstra_0-1590086655863.png

I am currently on Inventor 2019 if that matters?

P.Eng. Mechanical Engineer
Dell Precision 5680 Laptop; Win11 Pro; 64GB RAM; i9-13900H CPU; Intel Iris Xe Graphics, NVIDIA RTX 3500 Ada Laptop GPU.
Vault Pro 2025.1 (30.1.63.0); Inventor Pro 2025.1.1 (241).
Tags (1)
Message 13 of 14
andrew_faix
in reply to: SER4

Nope, sorry - I should have been more deliberate.  I was directing that comment to @Anonymous and the copy properties tool.

re: sketch dimensions, I don't think we have any way to multi-edit to change tolerance.  I'll work with the development team to evaluate the best way to do this.  I appreciate what you're trying to accomplish with the workflow you're describing and there are certainly opportunities to enable better multi-edit workflows.

Cheers.

-Andrew Faix
Autodesk, INC
Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Solidworks has this functionality to select and edit multiple dimensions simultaneously including dimension value, text formatting, and adding tolerance information. Very useful when you have 100 hole and all the location position dimensions need a specific tolerance. Be nice to have similar capability in hole tables to edit multiple cells in the hole table with tolerance information.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report