Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chain Link

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
9667 Views, 9 Replies

Chain Link

I need to draw a chain. Not a bicycle type chain but an anchor or neck chain. I can produce the links without any problem in Inventor. But how do I constrain the links together so that they act like a length chain would

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Perhaps with assembly Tangent Constraints or Dynamic Simulation Joints.
What is the purpose of having the chain act like the real chain?  (impacts ideal solution)
Can you attach your assembly here?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you for your swift response. This is one chain link, i need to link several together to form a complete chain. But I would like them to be efree to move around as a chain but not come apart.

Eventually I would like to be able to lift a table like structure using the chain which is will wrap around a bar as the bar rotates.

But one step at a time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Eventually I would like to be able to lift a table like structure using the chain which is will wrap around a bar as the bar rotates.

Do you need slack position or only while taught under lifting pressure?
Is this merely for visual animation eye candy or do you intend to do analysis?

Do you have a version of Inventor with Dynamic Simulation?

While not absolutely necessary, it might be best if the part was modeled with as much symmetry about the origin as possible.  As it is the first thing I would do is move to the origin.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Create workpoints or work axis. See attached 2011 files.

1949i4797E0E12B9D0464

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

From Cbliss.com

http://www.cbliss.com/inventor/Parts/Hardware/ChainLinks.zip

Not iParts, A set of links which are constrained to "fall" naturally
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Thank you everybody for youor response. This is for visual eye candy, there will be no need for any analysis.

Message 8 of 10
MkEHWD

Hi! 14 years later.. So I have the same question: is there a way to have an adaptive chain that follows a sketch. 

MkEHWD_1-1719344239292.png

MkEHWD_3-1719344290511.png

I currently use Feature patterns with workpoints but it's far from perfect. If I want a longer chian it gets complicated. any ideas? Thanks

Message 9 of 10
in reply to: MkEHWD

По окончанию урока вы сможете менять калибр цепи (со всеми вытекающими изменениями: чертежи, свойства и т.д.) одним кликом мыши. Источник: https://autocad-lessons.com/sozdanie-gruzopodemnoj-cepi-v-inventor-s-primeneniem-ilogic/ -- https://autocad-lessons.com - учебный портал Студии Vertex. На нем
Message 10 of 10
blandb
in reply to: MkEHWD

Using feature patterns is what I did here in this quick example:

Autodesk Certified Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report