Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Centerline Dimension in a Assembly.

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
BigPicture045
381 Views, 7 Replies

Centerline Dimension in a Assembly.

I need to dimension to the center line of these parts:

Ryan_Hettinger_0-1660917489597.png

Right now I am only getting access to the side of the part.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: BigPicture045

@BigPicture045 

Can you share the files here?  It's hard to tell what the problem is just from your image.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 8
BigPicture045
in reply to: CGBenner

I cannot share the file. 

In general, is there an option to snap the chain dimension to the the centerline of a part, or is standard to only be able to select faces?

Enlarged assembly with desired centerline part highlighted:

Ryan_Hettinger_0-1660919016510.png

Enlarged drawing:

Ryan_Hettinger_1-1660919082160.png

I'd like to get the centerline instead of showing the thickness (1/2") of the part. 

Message 4 of 8
CGBenner

If there is any geometry there to snap to, you should be able to do it.  If the midpoint of those ribs(?) is flush with any other surface, it may be difficult or impossible to grab them.  You could add reference geometry in your model, such as a work plane, at those locations and then use them in your drawings for dimensions.  Once they are in the model, you find them in the model browser for the particular view where you want the dimensions, and RMB, and select "Include".  The work plane will show up in the view as a centerline and can be used for adding dimensions.  It's a few extra steps, but in tight areas like this, it might be worth the effort.

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 5 of 8
kent_wold

You should also be able to add an actual centerline to each of those ribs using centerline in between which would also help clarify the drawing itself. The centerline command in drawings is very well done and works for these sorts of details.

Message 6 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: kent_wold

@kent_wold 

Thanks for sharing that!  I think I knew that, but I haven't used it in a long time!  

Chris Benner

Message 7 of 8
kent_wold

Part of what I love about Inventor is the ease of detailing and the excellent tools for detailing compared to that other standard 3D program we all hear about! LOL.. FAR more control and ease of use!

Message 8 of 8
kent_wold
in reply to: CGBenner

Many years of working on shop drawings and many of those for machinists with a boss who was a former machinist! Centerlines were always RED and used as machinists like to dimension from centerlines rather than edges of a part!

Thanks for the kind words!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report