Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catia to Inv?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
756 Views, 8 Replies

Catia to Inv?

OK, need a little help, suggestions here.

I have a user that is attempting to import or open a Catia V4 assembly file.

When opeining into Inventor (2012), it comes in as all part as messed.

But also it is missing a main component.

This is a piping assy and all that comes in are the connectors, brackets, etc, the piping runs are what does not translate in for whatever reason.

Trying to figure out what we are missing?

I've tried numerous options as far as migrating or opening directly in Inventor, etc. No matter what, same result.

File size if 817kb (catia file)

I'll post the file here, just wnat to know which you'd prefer, the native Catia file or the file converted into Inventor or both?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

Jim,

Are the Catia files version 5?

Are you opening them up directly as Catia files or have you exported them out in a different format from Catia.

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Scott,

it is a V4 file.

We've attempted to open them directly in Inventor as a Catia file and have exported it out of Catia as a STEP file and then called that up in Inventor, same results.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Jim,

Try opening it in Inventor Fusion.  Ive had some mixed results with trying to open Catia or Swix files within Inventor, whenever I try Fusion, it usually does the trick.

Good luck.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Update....nevermind, just found out the geometry in question is faceted geometry or should I say, nothing more than a pretty picture in Catia. So there actually is no geometry to export so I'm now told.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

OK,

More fun if you want to go there.

I saved the file as a V5 file by way of Inventor (most likely the casue of this) and thus called the file up in Fusion (Fusion will not open V4 files).

The file opens in Fusion just fine except there's nothing showing. All visibility is set to "on" and I'm zoomed all the way out to where I can see the 'environment globe" or "bubble', whatever you want to call it.

catia.JPG

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

i havent had much consistency using the catpart or catproduct files in inventor,

best results ive been getting are from step files (there are some things that can be done on the both the catia and inventor sides to help)

this link may help http://eislab.gatech.edu/step/ap203/catia-tips.html

Message 8 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk

Hi Jim,

Thanks for reporting this issue here.

Please post the native Catia file and the file converted into Inventor here or just send them to Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com , we will investigate then.

Regards,

Kevin Li

Software QA Engineer | Autodesk Inventor Translator

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com
Message 9 of 9
KevinLi-Autodesk

Jim,

I also see your same problem in my side which says pipe line component is missed to translated in Inventor2012. But unfortunatedly Inventor does not support CATIA V4 pipe line feature translation currently. May I know how often and how important the pipe lines feature used in your and your customer's workflow ? We can evaluate it based on your feedback.

Thanks for your report and support !

Regards,

Kevin Li

Software QA Engineer | Autodesk Inventor Translator

Kevin-Hongyuan Li
Software Quality Assurance Engineer
Design, Lifecycle and Simulation Product Group
Direct: +86 21 2039 6025
Email: Hongyuan.Li@autodesk.com
Autodesk, Inc.
NO. 130, Lane 91, E Shan Rd
Building 12, Floor 6,
Shanghai 200127, PRC
www.autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report