Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant open stp file

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1326 Views, 6 Replies

Cant open stp file

Hi,

I have a .stp-file. exported in Inventor which Im trying to open in GibbsCam. The stp-file is a solid model, but when I open it in GibbsCAM the program converts it to a surface model which our equipment cant handle.

Im not able to upload the file here, so I search for a more general solution or any ideas if it is a common problem. I realize that the problem probably is in GibbsCAM but maybe there is something I can do in Inventor?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

stig.anderson

If the STEP files opens correctly in Inventor..  What happens if you save the file in Inventor and then export it back to a STEP file.   Does it work in your CAM software?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@Anonymous wrote:

Im not able to upload the file here...!

Does it work with a simple cube?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

I have the file both in .ipt (the format I created the model in) and the exported .step file, both works fine in Inventor and are solids. But when I open the file in GibbsCAM the file becomes a surface. Cant figure out why.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Im not at work right now, but I can check when I get back.

Message 6 of 7
JDMather

You haven't mentioned what version of Inventor you are using and whether all Service Packs/Updates are installed.

If the simple cube experiment doesn't work - I think you should contact GibbsCAM and try to get them involved in the discussion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi! The first thing to try is to re-import the STEP file back to Inventor. Do you get a solid part? If yes, the issues are more likely in GibbsCAM side. If Inventor also import it as a surface, I would like to take a look at the model. Please feel free to send it directly to me (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com).

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report