Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cant change the way a centerline looks

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
rspargur77
623 Views, 14 Replies

cant change the way a centerline looks

going through my template setup and all that fun stuff and I'm having a hard time getting centerlines to look appropriate in scale ( the lines and gaps are all giant). even if i change values it seems nothing changes. what am i doing wrong and what would be the appropriate settings for the centerlines? im using 24x36 sheet size and even with default settings where its listed as having all associated dimensions being very small, my lines and gaps are inches big.

ps i know my sheet color is ugly but i had it set to a dark grey that contrasted my layers well and then when i would go to edit some text the cursor was almost the exact same shade of grey to the point i couldn't see where my mouse was clearly... so if you have a way to change cursor color while in a text edit box let me know lol

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
rspargur77
in reply to: rspargur77

I found the global line scale to adjust how they look but what if i have drawing views at different scales within the same sheet or set of sheets? do you need to setup different centerline styles for the various scales? im a bit confused how to get a centerline or hidden line to show up appropriately. here is another view i placed on same sheet at different scale. you can see the hidden lines are too small and the centerline is too big. figure i should ask someone here as i attempt my trial and error problem solving while searching youtube videos. 

Message 3 of 15
rspargur77

ok went thru youtube a ton and didnt come across anything that covers my question/issue

Message 4 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! The centerline appearance is controlled within Center Mark style. Did you try that?

Many thanks!

Centerline.png

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 15
rspargur77
in reply to: johnsonshiue

yes but i have no understanding of how changing those values affects the line. If i make the numbers very small the gaps and lines get very long, it makes no sense to me. No matter how many times i try to tweak it and save my style and update and do all that stuff (which is painful that thats how this is set up i gotta be honest it just should not be this hard to change the scale of the line, heck i should be able to click on lines and change em individually if i so please)

i cannot find a youtube video teaching this, i need a breakdown. im getting really frustrated and spending most of my work day trying new things and checking back here hoping someone answered my question. 

Message 6 of 15
JDMather

Can you Attach your files here (make up a simple dummy set if your actual data is proprietary).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 15
rspargur77
in reply to: JDMather

im having a hard time figuring out how to send a drawing with something in it. maybe you can place something in it and slap a centerline on it. i shouldnt have to send files for someone to explain how to use the styles editor and centerlines though, th 

Message 8 of 15
rspargur77

ive gone in the style editor and changed the values drastically and see no change to my centerlines. i have even made all dimensions 0.5" and saved style then going to 5" and save style and looks exactly the same. no clue what im doing wrong here. 

Message 9 of 15
rspargur77

im getting another message at times that says my file is in use or is read only and its talking about the file im currently working on that is the template i am trying to set up. i dont understand this message or why i would ever be seeing it. 

Message 10 of 15
rspargur77

got on the phone with a support guy, took an hour to figure out the issue with him remoting in to my pc. the issue was that when I was making changes to my template and adjusting the colors of different items and fonts and things of that nature i had changed the line type on centerlines and marks to be centerline and the default is set to continuous. this was causing an issue because i guess inventor knows you are placing a center line or center mark and automatically makes it the correct line type, but if you are telling it to make it out of a centerline and not a continuous line it will be adding lines and gaps to a centerline style line rather than a continuous style line thus even small gaps and line appear huge. 

Message 11 of 15
JBerns

@johnsonshiue,

Why doesn't Inventor draw centerlines as shown in the dialog box?

JBerns_0-1724862261305.png

Centerline created using Centerline Bisector.

It is such a struggle to get any centerline to keep the short dash in the "middle" of the line.

Linetypes work so well in AutoCAD,

JBerns_1-1724862614778.png

yet so frustrating in Inventor.

How do you get centerlines in Inventor to look as good as those in AutoCAD?

Regards,

Jerry

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Autodesk Certified Instructor
Autodesk Inventor 2020 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2017 Certified Professional
Message 12 of 15
ldutkaTUZ58

Sounds like a line type scale issue, you'd have to do some trial and error to find the one that fits your requirements. Good luck.

Message 13 of 15
JBerns

@ldutkaTUZ58,

I have tried various linetype scales.

Please look again at the example Inventor image. Why isn't the short dash centered in the line?

I hope this is resolved in a future version.

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022
Message 14 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: JBerns

Hi Jerry,

If possible, please share the files that exhibit the behavior. I can work with the project team to understand the behavior better. If AutoCAD drafting works better, you may consider using AutoCAD as the drafting tool (use VIEWBASE to create associative drawing views or use Inventor Link to bring Inventor components to the Model Space).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 15
JBerns

Thanks, Johnson.

Model/Drawing sent.

CAD Administrator
Using Inventor 2022

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report