Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot extrude profile

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
SEC_CAD
1118 Views, 9 Replies

Cannot extrude profile

I cannot extrude a logo that was pasted into an Inventor sketch from AutoCAD. It is not available for selection. 

I tried using the sketch doctor, which found many issues

• redundant points
  • missing coincident constraints
  • overlapping curves

, but left me to fix them manually. How do I fix these issues manually? When I drag the highlighted points they seem connected to adjacent lines.

This logo contains splines - is there an issue with splines in profiles?

I tried 3 methods of creating the 2D profile in AutoCAD before pasting into Inventor to try and eliminate any issues with open shapes.
1) Convert the 2D profile from ai file into dwg
2) FLATSHOT of the logo that I already have in 3D in AutoCAD from another project.
3) Explode the 3D AutoCAD logo and copy the top surface.

I cannot post the logo to the forum. I am looking for method about how you would go about solving this, rather than a one time solution.

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: SEC_CAD

Hard to say wihtout knowing the model. Each problem needs its own way(s) to solve it (and we don't know what causes the problem).

Perhaps you first can create in AutoCAD regions. So you can be sure to have a really flat (2D-)contour without overlapping lines. (if Auto can not create regions, then you should "repair" the geometry in AutoCAD first).

I think this can be worth a try.

If my reply solves your problem, click the "accept as solution" button. This can help others find solutions faster

Jürgen Palme
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@SEC_CAD wrote:

2) FLATSHOT of the logo that I already have in 3D in AutoCAD from another project.

Why convert back into 2D to use in Inventor.

Use the AutoCAD 3D in Inventor.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! Is this on 2019 or earlier? Please share the file here. I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
SEC_CAD
in reply to: JDMather

I just want the profile so that I can extrude with a draft.

Message 6 of 10
SEC_CAD
in reply to: j.palmeL29YX

Thanks  @j.palmeL29YX 

AutoCAD refuses to make a region. It reports "1 closed, degenerate or unsupported object rejected."

I think that I should start there as you say. But its like finding a needle in a haystack - hundreds of nodes, all looking correct.

Message 7 of 10
SEC_CAD
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue 

I didn't want to share the logo but I guess one letter from it would be ok. Here is the AutoCAD file that I am trying to copy the geometry from. I am trying to create a new part in inventor, paste the "e" onto any plane/face and extrude it with a draft angle.

Message 8 of 10
j.palmeL29YX

To repair the corrupt 2D-Geometry will be a hard job. (Thousands of small curve segments which are not connected).

A much more better way is to import the 3d(dwg)Solid into Inventor.

This can be done as shown in >>this video<<.

I just want the profile so that I can extrude with a draft.

Oops. I've seen this too late. I'll give it a try as soon as possible.

HTH

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 10
j.palmeL29YX

In >>this video<< you can see, that the source geometry is rather wrinkled. I don't know a simple way to repair it.

I'd suggest to use the source file as an "underlay" and redraw the boudaries yourselfe as precise as possible/needed.  

Jürgen Palme

EESignature

Message 10 of 10
SEC_CAD

Thanks for the video @j.palmeL29YX  I'll try and trace the logo as you have suggested.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report