Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot Assign Material to Part Created with Combine

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
phlyx
308 Views, 8 Replies

Cannot Assign Material to Part Created with Combine

We have a very complicated gripper tooling jaw and the way we created it was modeling a finger/jaw, adding the part it is picking, then creating a new part with the Combine command.  Then more geometry was created to mate it to the gripper.  Then we created a Derived part from this to make an opposite hand version.  When we are in the Derived part, we can change the material to anything we want.  But when we're editing the original Combined part and we click on the material list there are no materials listed. 

2023-09-29_091432.jpg

And if we look at the iProperties, the material field is completely grayed out.

2023-09-29_091543.jpg

How do we assign material to a part created with the Combine command????

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: phlyx

What Inventor version is this?
If your derive style selected was to create a surface, you will not be able to add material to it.
If you have solids, you can try right-clicking and picking Properties to adjust the material appearance of solids.
Similar thread: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-2022-can-t-assign-material-to-part-created-by...

Message 3 of 9
blandb

If it is multiple solid bodies you cannot change the material of each solid separately. If you want each solid to be its own respective part, then you would need to make components, and it will generate an assembly with all the solids grounded into position in the assembly. Then from there you can open each part that was made and change its material. Now, any changes in position or solids of the master file will reflect in the assembly.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 4 of 9
phlyx

Inventor 2022.5.  And we didn't combine two bodies.  We subtracted one body from the other (Combine/Remove).  And if it were surfaces I do not believe we could have been able to derive a solid opposite hand part that we can change the material of.    

Message 5 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi Scott,

I guess this part is a Simplified part or a Shrinkwrap part, right? If it is a substitute part, the ability to change material style will be blocked. Please share the files so that the forum experts can help take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 9
Vgrafix57

Hey @johnsonshiue, sorry for the delay, been really busy.  Attached is a part I cannot assign material to it with Inventor 2022.5

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Vgrafix57

Hi! This was a substitute part, although the link back to the source assembly was broken. Once a part was designated as a substitute part, the ability to assign a material style is removed. I recalled in older releases 2018 or earlier, such behavior was allowed. But it introduced more confusing behaviors. For such part, you might as well derive it again or export it as STEP and import it back since the features are gone anyway. Then the material style can be assigned.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
blandb
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I would of probably used the "Copy Object" command to do this. You can take your original assembly, make sure no components are open, and then just edit the top block directly in the assembly. Now use the copy object command to copy in the zerk as a surface. Now use the sculp tool to cut it away. See video for a quick example.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 9 of 9
phlyx

I found a work around but wanted to suggest that we be allowed to set the material.  What I did was from the combined part I did a simplify and made a new IPT for that IPT and I could assign material to the new IPT.  But not sure why we have to do thru that extra step.  Basically what I did was made an assembly with the two parts, then did a simplify.  Then I did a combine in the simplified part.  Then I had to do a simplified part AGAIN so I could assign material to it.  Wish I got paid by the click.... <jk>

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report