Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you change the visible name of a DWG to the a Ipropertie instead of the Part File name.

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
J.VandeMerckt
305 Views, 9 Replies

Can you change the visible name of a DWG to the a Ipropertie instead of the Part File name.

JVandeMerckt_1-1700151376174.png

Is it possible to have the names that are displayed (see green arrows) to be properties of the part instead of the file name?

This would be helpful when working with numbered parts.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mluterman
in reply to: J.VandeMerckt

you should be able to just double-click on the name in the browser tree (slow click, wait a beat for that second click).

Message 3 of 10

Try use part number as file name.

Message 4 of 10

That defeats the whole purpose of using numbered parts..
My question is more if it's possible to have the displayed name to be different then the file name. Maybe link it to a Ipropertie just as the title or another Ipropertie.
Message 5 of 10
J.VandeMerckt
in reply to: mluterman

Hey mluterman

Yes manually this works.
But would it be possible to link the partnumber to a Ipropertie.
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

You can do it with iLogic. I think this link does what you're after.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-programming-ilogic/ilogic-rule-add-description-value-after-f...

Dave Cutting
Message 7 of 10

Thank you, this is exactly what I need.
Message 8 of 10

@J.VandeMerckt wrote:
That defeats the whole purpose of using numbered parts..
My question is more if it's possible to have the displayed name to be different then the file name. Maybe link it to a Ipropertie just as the title or another Ipropertie.

It can be changed but it will not be linked.  iLogic/addin can "automate" the change but you'll need to set it up on all computers in the company and on each update.

Inventor automatically use filename as Part Number.

What do you mean by "numbered parts"?

How are you using "numbered parts"?

I use "one part one drawing".

ipt/iam and idw has same name and it's Part Number of the part.

iPart/iAssembly will create each member of similar part and a drawing can link to them.

Message 9 of 10

I mean that all parts and assemblies are named with consecutive numbers. Then in the properties the names are placed. This way you can have multiple names for multiple departements.
Par example R&D calls this part RD01 but Production calls the part PR01.
So we give all the parts a "dumb" number and use the iproperties for RD and PR numbers.

Message 10 of 10

You can setup different custom iProp for different department:

PartNumber-01.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report