Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't sketch on solid surfaces

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
matt.hansen
601 Views, 3 Replies

Can't sketch on solid surfaces

I have a student working in inventor 2017. He has extruded a sketch into a solid surface model. Normally, my other students would start the next extrusion by clicking on the face of the object and creating another extrusion off of the surface of the object. However when my student clicks start 2d sketch, and selects the face of the object he wants to draw on, the view jumps to the center of the x-y drawing space instead of allowing him to draw directly on the face of the model?

Thoughts on fixing this? TIA

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

@matt.hansen

Do you mean it is set to look at sketching plane while sketching?  Or something else..

2018-09-18_11-28-56.jpg

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 4
CCarreiras
in reply to: matt.hansen

Hi!

A sketch plane is only a direction.

Every face has his own axis system, and this is chosen automatically by the software, so, there's no problem there, just sketch using solid references to position the geometry int he sketch, doesn't matter where is the axis system.

If it is not the case, just attach here the part and we'll check that.

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 4 of 4

@matt.hansen wrote:

I have a student...a solid surface model. 

Just to clarify so that we are using the correct terms in the classroom.

A model is either a solid body or a surface body (or a combination of these).

A solid is not a surface (in CAD terms).

The face of a solid body is referred to as, well, a face - not a surface.

If the previous response related to view rotation does not solve your issue - Attach the file here as requested.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report