Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't select face for decal in inventor

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
francois.murrell
956 Views, 8 Replies

Can't select face for decal in inventor

I'm newer to inventor but know my basic way around. 

I'm making the bottom section of a rocket toy and have successfully applied a decal to one side of the triangular rocket body. However when I try to place another decal on another identical side of the rocket it refuses to select the face and image as a pair. I've tried redefining the work plane I created, moving the work plane outside the object, deleted the sketch and plane and tried again and it still won't select the face.

Its frustrating because it worked on the other identical face and I don't understand what's stopping this one working. I'd love to get some idea as to what's causing it for future reference.

I have some screenshots and the file link in case you need it.

Thanks

decal image on the left and annoying image on the rightdecal image on the left and annoying image on the rightface behind image won't selectface behind image won't select

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
JDMather
in reply to: francois.murrell

@francois.murrell wrote:

I would do this design very differently (starting with fully defining Sketch1).

Are you interested in learning how to use Inventor best practices?

As I go through this - I see that you used Delete Faces where I would have used Delete Lump.

JDMather_0-1619094629216.png

Why did you create, split and then Delete geometry?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 9
JDMather

@francois.murrell wrote:

As I go through this - I see that you have a lot of work to do on the foundations of sketching.

Sketches should be fully defined and dimensions should make logical sense.

JDMather_0-1619101366090.png

JDMather_0-1619101487716.png

Open the Attached file.

What do you notice about the first two sketches?

JDMather_1-1619101708789.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 4 of 9
francois.murrell
in reply to: JDMather

Are we supposed to fully define sketches? I came from blender and am teaching myself so model trees and defining specific dimensions are not things I've had to deal with before. So you mean that the problem is that I haven't been defining sketch dimensions properly?

Message 5 of 9
francois.murrell

I am creating this for a concept project so if possible I will leave the project as it is as I'm quite far through it, I had great difficulty achieving the desired rocket body shape.

The curve of the body meant that in order to get one continuous smooth shape when all pieces are combined together (this piece is 1 of 4) I thought it would be easier to create the one body and then cut it up to keep the curve profile rather than try to continue it in different files.

Is there any way to get the decal on the face without major tree or model changes ? 

I would be interested in learning best practices for future reference too as I think its something good to have.

Message 6 of 9
JDMather

@francois.murrell wrote:

Is there any way to get the decal on the face without major tree or model changes ? 

I came from the shop floor where I had to make real things (and in multiples - all identical).

I was willing to start over from scratch and it isn’t even my project!

In my experience it is easier and faster and all around more satisfying to do a design right. 
Are you on-board with this or only interested in shortcuts (which are rarely shorter in the end)?

Message 7 of 9
francois.murrell

I would rather make it properly, although I only have about 5 days to do so.

I have had great difficulty figuring out how to form that rocket shape, let alone get 4 pieces out of it so if there is an easier and proper way it would make the modelling process much easier. I had no idea what I was doing was non-practice since I didn't know any better, I had to play around with whatever seemed to work.

I will check out your youtube channel as well.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Message 8 of 9

I've tried it, both with 2021 and 2022. It looks like a bug to me.

Let's wait for a comment from Johnson ( @Anonymous ).

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
JDMather

@francois.murrell wrote:

I would rather make it properly, although I only have about 5 days to do so.

This should get you started (see Attached).

JDMather_0-1619269924644.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report