Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Resize Dialog Box

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
5757 Views, 15 Replies

Can't Resize Dialog Box

Just upgraded to Windows 10, made a random click on accident and now my Save and Open dialog boxes cannot be resized.

See the screen cast: http://autode.sk/1L5NVOd

Thanks!

Alex

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
hossaiy
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Alex,

thanks for reporting this. There is a work-around for this, see the video below. It does involve editing the registry, so please be careful.

At ~ 40 seconds into the video i export the registry key that i'm about to edit (just in-case i need to restore it), i recommend you do that too. As shown in the video the key being modified can be found here

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/ComDlg32/CIDSizeMRU"

Once you've navigated to this, you will see, in the right hand pane, various values "Default", "MRUListEx" & then others with names from 0 to some number depending on how many apps are on your system. One of these belong to Inventor, in the video i found the one named "4" belonged to Inventor on my system. Delete this to reset the size of the dialog. 

Hope that helps, thanks

Yacoub Hossain
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: hossaiy

Did this process and it worked beautifully. The size of dialog boxes in question were reset. Thank you very much for this fix @hossaiy.

However, something still isn't functioning properly. I can make the dialog box bigger by grabbing the corners, but I cannot grab the corners to make it smaller. So I can resize the Open/Save window to make it bigger, but it will not go back to a smaller window... Weird glitch!

Thank you!

Alex

Message 4 of 16
hossaiy

No worries, It is a weird glitch, and appears to be a problem with Windows 10. I have posted on the Microsoft community here to see what Microsoft say about this. I'll also notify our developers to see if they can do something in Inventor about this.

Thanks

Yacoub Hossain
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: hossaiy

Thank you very much for your help!

Message 6 of 16
pcrawley

Thanks for posting this fix.  I agree with the wierd glitch comment - and thanks for taking it up with Microsoft.

Re-running Regedit should take you directly back to the last key you were editing, so it's simply a matter of finding the offending key again. (If Inventor was the list application you ran and resized the dialog box, then it's likely to be the key with the highest number since they're created sequentially).

Peter
Message 7 of 16
pcrawley
in reply to: pcrawley

This was fixed by the latest (massive) Windows 10 update released November 12th

Peter
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: pcrawley

So it was! Thanks! 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

this is happening again. IV2018.2.3 win 10.
Message 10 of 16
matt.cullen

I am also having this issue. Inventor 2016.2.6, Win10 Pro v1709. The registry solution above works perfectly, but the root cause is not resolved!

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: matt.cullen

try double clicking on the uh.. the bar.. the bar at the top of the dialog
box?
Message 12 of 16
ilw
Contributor

Double clicking the title bar worked great for me, thanks! The dialog switched out of maximized mode and I could resize larger and smaller.

Message 13 of 16
OK_BOOMER

Same bug unfixed in 2022. Maybe disallow maximizing a dialog, like well-behaved applications do? Maybe add min-max buttons to dialog? No, because that would make sense.

OK_BOOMER_0-1643828343641.png

Message 14 of 16
johnsonshiue
in reply to: OK_BOOMER

Hi! I could be wrong but the issue seems to be Microsoft Windows related. Please make sure all critical Windows updates are installed.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 16
graz95INV
in reply to: johnsonshiue

With the "stuck" dialog box open, right click on the task bar and select "Show windows side by side".

Resize the "Save As" dialog box and cancel.

Return the software windows to the normal mode of operation, and try to perform a "Save As" again.

No Registry keys were modified.

Message 16 of 16
jpinda

Just got the bug in 2024! Thanks that fixed it!  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report