Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Flatten a die formed lofted flange in a sheet metal part.

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
zrman96
768 Views, 5 Replies

Can't Flatten a die formed lofted flange in a sheet metal part.

The subject really says it all. For my exact steps please see the spoiler.

Spoiler

I made a tipless cone by sketching a circle, and then another one in a seperate sketch along the same axis in a work plane.

sketch.PNG

(Please note that the verticle line was just temprary to show the distance between the circles; it was deleted bdefore the next step)
Next I used the lofted flange tool to make a die formed cone between the two circles.

No options were changed from the default settings except the change from Press Brake to Die Formed.
Lofted flange.PNG

when I try to flatten the part I get this error:

Error.PNG

I can't seem to figure out how to flatten it for placing in a drawing and cutting it. I was expecting to end up with a shape like this:
http://autodesk.cadgeekspeak.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_wCzwU_7v2Us/R49PQ5_BfdI/AAAAAAAAAFU/xs5...

I have tried both inventor 2014 & 2015
Thank you for your help.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
mdavis22569
in reply to: zrman96

without seeing the IPT ..I don't think many will be able to answer it correctly .... Can you attach the part?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 6
JDMather

Rip

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 6
zrman96
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thank you for your response, I tried that and couldn't get it to work before, but I just now found an answer. In a sketch I used the project geometry feature to make a line on the side of the part, and then used the rip feature to split the part and flatten it. Thank you for your help.

P.S. Here is the video, and my part with applied the fix, incase someone else has a similar problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRz13F6DNLY

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

Hello,

I created a frustum (cone shape) by doing a lofted flange (die formed). Oddly, it looks nearly identical to the one in the invetor knowledge base article. I'm selecting the rip function. I want to do a simple single point rip vertically up the incline of the frustum. I can select the face but can't select the point on either edge because the little yellow circle doesn't appear.

Please help.

Message 6 of 6
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Attach your *.ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report