Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Automatically Suppress a Part in Every Other Configuration?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
337 Views, 2 Replies

Can I Automatically Suppress a Part in Every Other Configuration?

I am planning on adding multiple configurations to my assembly,and I was wondering if there were any way to place a component only in the configuration I am working in.  I know the master will show all configurations, but I am meaning is there a way to make the part I placed in "Level of Detail: C" be automatically suppressed in "Level of Detail: A and B"? Maybe with some iLogic rule or some setting?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
ToddHarris7556
in reply to: Anonymous

There are a few approaches to this, that I can think of: 

1) LOD's

While you certainly could create individual LOD's and suppress individual parts, it gets out of control pretty quickly as the number of configurations and/or parts increase. LOD's were originally designed as a memory management feature. You can use them for configurations, but they're not great.

2) iAssembly

In my mind, this sounds like it has iAssembly written all over it. iAssembly is a table-based configuration workflow, much like iParts. New configurations involve adding another row to the table, and selecting part status. It's not the Holy Grail - it can still turn into a big table - but in my experience these are easier to manage that LOD's. It's quite easy with LOD's to inadvertently edit a configuration. iAssembly is more robust, IMO.

3) iLogic

In much the same way that LOD's were designed for another purpose, iLogic offers 'rules-based design' functionality. iLogic is powerful and can be made to do a lot, but maybe configurations are only 'rules-based' in a very broad sense. i.e. 'if configNo = xxx, then suppress these things'. Every time you add new configurations, you'd end up editing code. 

Todd
Product Design Collection (Inventor Pro, 3DSMax, HSMWorks)
Fusion 360 / Fusion Team
Message 3 of 3
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! Like Todd mentioned here, there are some Configuration workflows in Inventor. But, depends on what you want to do, there is a better workflow among those. LOD is a memory management tool, not a Configuration tool.

Could you elaborate what exactly you want to do? Forum experts can help suggest a good workflow.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report