Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I assemble flexible products in inventor under tension?

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
602 Views, 10 Replies

Can I assemble flexible products in inventor under tension?

I have got an assembly and one of the parts I would like to assemble if a flexible foam (I haven't yet defined it's material properties). I would like to sandwich something between this and a rigid flat plane, so that the flexible foam is stretched over the top of this, see cross-section sketch below.illustration.jpg

What is the best way to represent this ?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
PaulMunford
in reply to: Anonymous

Derive?

Autodesk Industry Marketing Manager UK D&M
Opinions are my own and may not reflect those of my company.
Linkedin Twitter Instagram Facebook Pinterest

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: PaulMunford

How would I do that, i.e. which mode?
Message 4 of 11
JDMather

Attach your assembly here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

Here is a zip with the assembly and the components.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous

How would I use the derive feature to do this? Is there a tutorial etc. which shows which of the modes would allow me to do this?

Thanks. 

Message 7 of 11
mcgyvr

"in general"....You cannot make a part in Inventor that is just a simple rectangular extrusion and then "stretch/deform" it in an Inventor assembly to surfaces like you want..

Just model the part "as deformed"

Inventor can be "tricked" to do quite a bit though with adaptivity,etc..... but you need a darn good reason to want to do so (adds complexity/file size) and I doubt this is a time when you need to do this..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Thaks for the reply. I am happy to statically model the part as deformed. However, is there any way of modelling the size, as it will obviously be different from the flat shape? 

Aditionally, which tools would you use to model the deformed part, to create a fixed width sheet, with a inset shape?

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

It's been a while, I believe you only have two boolean choices in derived parts, subract or intersect. All deformed parts here are created with imates because of that. Or maybe that's different in 2016.

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous

Derp, never mind, that must have been in weldment.
Message 11 of 11
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Thaks for the reply. I am happy to statically model the part as deformed. However, is there any way of modelling the size, as it will obviously be different from the flat shape? 

By "modeling the size" do you mean you also want the part in its "flat" state?

my first thought is to use an ipart.. like this.. Then its 1 file with both the flat and formed states..

Obviously this is a very primative shape and you can get as fancy as you want with it. 

edit the ipart table to see what was done..

Inv 2016 file attached..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report