Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam Thickness Controls in Cam Design Tool

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
petestrycharske
399 Views, 4 Replies

Cam Thickness Controls in Cam Design Tool

All,

Good afternoon!  I've been working with a client who says that the Disc Cam design tools have changed inside of Inventor from years past.  In the past, he claims that you could specify the overall width and the follower width and the Cam width would be the difference between the two (I think I'm capturing this correctly).  Now, you create a Cam Width dimension and Inventor automatically multiplies this by 1.25 to get a overall Cam thickness for the "Both" option.  I can edit the cam part after the fact and correct the formula to whatever I want or enter my own value in the Equation field, but want to know if there is a way to control that value in the Cam Design Dialog box.  If anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to fire them my way.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

@petestrycharske

What Inventor version are they referring to that worked the way they thought it did and what version are they using now?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 5

Mark,

That's a great question, which I asked twice myself, and have not received an answer yet.  I've not used the Cam design tool much, so I was curious if anyone else who has used it in the past can verify the settings that my client is confident exists.  If I do get an answer, I'll definitely pass it along.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace and Love,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 5

All,

Good morning!  I never could figure out which Inventor version had the Cam design the way that the customer recalled, but either way I was going to have to create an Idea for changing it.  So, please follow the link below and vote for the idea if it is relevant for your design workflow.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day

Link to Idea

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 5 of 5

Hi Pete,

The behavior you described is there from beginning, no changes were made here. Cam width is related to width of curved face. For "Both" model there are two curved faces. To keep them together in one part it is necessary to add some extra material. This width is not possible to define from Cam dialog. Is really beneficial to edit it inside Cam dialog? I guess it may be better to start support Cam feature to cut grove in existing model, so outer shape of body is completely designed by user. Can this satisfy your client needs?

Jan Vonasek
Software Developer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report