Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cam follower problem

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
rataylor
713 Views, 9 Replies

Cam follower problem

Hello, I'm trying to get my cam follower bearing to follow the cam profile. At the moment I can only select a single facet. Is there a way to select multiple facets so the pushrod roller bearing will follow the full perimeter? (see jpg file)Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: rataylor

Transitional Constraint

or

Environments>Dynamic Simulation

2D Contact

or

3D Contact
or 

Rolling Cylinder Joint.

Attach your assembly here if you can't figure it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
rataylor
in reply to: JDMather

Appreciate your time for helping. Later, Rick.

Message 4 of 10
JDMather

An assembly must include parts.

Inventor parts are in the form *.ipt files.

Right click on the project folder and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

Attach the resulting *.zip file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 10
rataylor

Also, thanks for explaining to me how to do a zip file. Later, Rick.

Message 6 of 10
JDMather

Well, we have to major issues right out of the gate.

Issue 1 - it appears that you are using Inventor 2015, which will make communication difficult as you would not be able to open my later version files.

Issue 2 - I found Unconstrained Sketch1  in more than one part.  This is the shakiest of foundations from which to start.  I will have to validate the geometry of each and every part.  This could take some time.

Message 7 of 10
rataylor

I'm in no hurry JD. I just thought it would be a simple process as I've been coming back ever-so-often to try to get it to work. I'll be able to get to a computer with 2019 on it to see how you constrained the bearing to the cam profile. Getting the gear teeth to mesh was relatively simple, as was constraining the pushrod, rocker arm and valve to open and close, but the cam follower kicked my butt. Thanks. Later, Rick.

Message 8 of 10
JDMather

Where are you located in TN?

I used to teach at ETSU.

Message 9 of 10
rataylor

hmmm...small world! I'm at MTSU, in Murfreesboro. I teach Basic Machining and Advanced Machining(CNC and CAM). I design mostly in 2-D because that's my comfort zone and dabble with 3-D because sometimes I have to print a part but mainly because I like the way Inventor can bring your parts alive. Hopefully, I was successful with a video attachment of this engine running. Later, Rick.

Message 10 of 10
rataylor

JD, thanks so much for sharing your expertise with Inventor. It seems I have skimmed over a lot of details that would make my assembly more stable. I appreciate the time you spent on this because this will make me better at Inventor. Later, Rick.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report