Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cable and Harness segments and customizing

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1651 Views, 4 Replies

Cable and Harness segments and customizing

I'm trying to determine if there's a good way in the Cable and Harness functionality in Inventor 2020 that will allow the segments to be defined as a bundle of wires instead of looking like a multi-conductor cable. I know this may seem semantic but one of the big things I need to accomplish is to be able to accurately represent what someone will see in an electro-mechanical assembly so that I can write maintenance documentation for it. If the model shows a single cable with multiple conductors it will be inaccurate. Is there maybe a way you can customize the appearance of a segment? See picture below as an example (not my image). The only way I can do it currently is to manually route each individual wire which is very tedious in large assemblies.

HarnessVis.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Besides setting the appearance of the segment to something "resembling" a bundle of wires then NOPE..

To change the appearance of the segment..

Right click on the segment and select "Harness Properties" from there go to the "Display" tab and you can change the appearance there..

You can also change the size of the segment to not be calculated from the wires again to "fake" some appearance of a mesh of wires..

But even Dolly Parton is going to say "Dang.. Now THATS fake"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Well that's at least more than I had before. Maybe I can fake it till I make it for now. It would be nice if Autodesk would let me write a software plugin for Inventor to fix this issue. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

Do you know of any third party software packages that work with the autodesk suite that can do cable and harness work?

Message 5 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you know of any third party software packages that work with the autodesk suite that can do cable and harness work?

@Anonymous  No I do not but from what I have seen out there you are unlikely to find one that doesn't use segments similar to Inventor..  In the end, point to point/pin to pin accuracy is all that really matters.. 

BTW... Nothing is stopping you from writing a plugin/addin for Inventor.. 

There are quite a few "3rd party" apps/addins of various sorts of tools.. 

https://apps.autodesk.com/INVNTOR/en/Home/Index

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report